Robobrew V3

A spot to talk general homebrew
PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Robobrew V3

Post by PMackie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:27 am

It was suggested a topic get started on this. I have one that I got two weeks ago, I have done two all grain brews on it so far and it has been fantastic. Ask away on questions if you have some.
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Re: Robobrew V3

Post by ackes » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:07 pm

PMackie wrote:It was suggested a topic get started on this. I have one that I got two weeks ago, I have done two all grain brews on it so far and it has been fantastic. Ask away on questions if you have some.
How’s the time to mash temperature? Time to boil?

I read on 1 thread that volume markings on the inside can be off. Have you tested this ? The guy that found this out - filled the robobrew with 7 - 1 G jugs of water and it ended up measuring ~ 7.3 G on inside. Not a huge deal. But curious if that was a 1 off ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:41 pm

Time to Mash Temp is usually about 30-40 minutes depending how cold the water is you put in. Time to boil I find takes about 40-60 minutes. If we had the 1900W and 500W burners like Australia this wouldn't be so slow.

The markings on the inside are dead on, on the new version. I tested this my last two brews be measuring before adding the water and both times the same result. This comes in handy when you are sparging and trying to hit the 28 liter pre boil for most recipes.

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mark Bowser

Post by Bowserm » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:06 am

I am curious where you got it. I have been looking for the robobrew on the Canadian sites but can’t seem to find any.

When I originally started looking at the robobrew it was half the cost of the grainfather. Is this still the case?

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 am

Everwood has them!

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:16 am

Yup Everwood Ave has them, I happened to be inquiring about the Grainfather a few weeks back and they mentioned they were getting in this robobrew. I did some research and decided for half the price, it would be worth it to take the plunge. They are not advertising them yet, but they defiantly have a bunch in stock and are selling them.

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mark Bowser

Post by Bowserm » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:26 pm

Maybe I’ll have to start saving now that I know I don’t have to pay for shipping from somewhere

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Work and life finally got the better of me and I came to the realization that I just wouldn't have the time to build out the electric brewery I wanted, so I pulled the trigger and bought one of these from Everwood a couple of weeks ago. After a "water only" test run, I brewed the inaugural batch on the Robobrew V3 on Easter weekend.

I have to say I am happy with it. Time to heat strike water is around 40 minutes, but the time doesn't matter if you set the Robobrew to delayed start; the strike water is ready when you wake in the morning. Recirculating during the mash worked like a charm to maintain mash temperature. Mashout was quick (7 minute rise time). Fly sparging took somewhere in the range of 45 minutes and by the time that was finished, the wort was ready to boil. The boil was much stronger than I expected, and boil off was limited to approximately 2L, which was handled by natural ventilation within the house. I may put in a small window fan to handle any excess moisture. Chilling with the 1/2" stainless immersion chiller included was quick, dropping the temperature from boiling to 68F in just under 15 minutes. Cleanup was simple and transfer to the fermenter worked well with the kettle false bottom blocking the hops.

Because I had it on hand anyway, I added a couple of layers of Reflectix around the body of the kettle so that's gotta help with maintaining temperatures. The one drawback I saw is that when sparging, you can't see the water levels inside the kettle. I hooked up a house to the ball valve and used it as a temporary site glass which worked out well. Other than that, it was a problem free brew day. Looking forward to a few more quick and easy brew days to determine where my average efficiencies land.

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:14 am

Glad you enjoyed it. I have done 4 brews on mine so far and can't really complain too much. The Quality of the beer I am brewing now is exceptional. I did run into a leak issue with the recirc arm where the elbow comes out of the pump. That was a quick fix though.

Otherwise I find the boil ok. Once it hits boiling, I can't get it to go to any higher of a temp. I assume you find the same. That is the limit of the 1500W.

Going to give a Wit beer a go this weekend. So a bit more of a grain bill, we will see how it goes.

MatthewRichard
Name: Matthew Richard

Post by MatthewRichard » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:21 am

I've been using the robobrew along with learning all grain brewing. Quite the curve !

Unless my calculations are incorrect, I have been getting low mash efficiency. How does everyone find their eff. ?

On Tap: American Pale Ale

Fermenter: Goose Island IPA Clone
On Tap : ESB
Shock Top Clone
Fermenter: Watermelon Blonde

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:36 am

Are you using beersmith? The following link has the equipment and mash profiles for the robobrew and beersmith. Might be helpful in taking the guess work out of recipe design and narrow in your efficiency.

http://www.shortcircuitedbrewers.com/robobrew/

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:50 am

MatthewRichard wrote:I've been using the robobrew along with learning all grain brewing. Quite the curve !

Unless my calculations are incorrect, I have been getting low mash efficiency. How does everyone find their eff. ?

On Tap: American Pale Ale

Fermenter: Goose Island IPA Clone
Hey Matt,
Having only brewed one time on the RoboBrew, I don't have any solid data, but my first shot at a 1.047 beer was for points high, and came in with a mash efficiency of 91%. Personally,I found that a bit higher than expected, but do expect mash efficiencies to be in the 85-88% range based on both my BIAB and 3V systems. With the RoboBrew, it's my first time fly sparging, so I need a few more brews to define"normal" for me.

What are you getting for mash efficiencies?

MatthewRichard
Name: Matthew Richard

Post by MatthewRichard » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:50 pm

I'm trying to define normal within all respects (new to brewing). I did an Apa with 8.8 lbs of malt. I sparged to 23L and had an OG of 1.050. I currently have a glass of said beer beside me and it is surprisingly quite good.

Surely this may be the wrong thread for this however I am brewing less than robo style. - perhaps I am taking my samples and readings at the wrong points or my formula is wrong.

(gallons preboil * OG)/lbs malt
On Tap : ESB
Shock Top Clone
Fermenter: Watermelon Blonde

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 am

I have been getting around 80-85% Efficiency for the most part. I have had one that was up in the 90's. I have been using Gash's profile from Australia on beersmith as I found it a bit better than the short circuit brewer one.

My beers have been turning out excellent by the way. I can't keep it in the kegerator with friends loving it.

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ivor

Post by ivorm » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:39 am

I see Everwood has these on sale right now.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:58 am

I ordered one from OBK's and will get it sometime in the middle of June. What is the usual mash schedule everyone is using? I usually go with 1.25 qts/lb for Bitters, Stouts and Browns and 1.50 qts/lb for Pale Ales and lagers.

Gunner
Name: Justin

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Definitely looking at the Robobrew V3 myself.. Thanks for starting the thread - may pull the trigger very soon!

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 am

Correction, I think the OBK Robo Brew will get here around Sept/Oct. Perfect as my summer is very busy.

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:35 am

I'm not sure if the offer is still on but I snagged myself one from The Grain Barrel Brewshop. It was on for $449.99 + tax with free shipping and they gave me 10% brewnosers discount too. They also give 25% off an all grain kit with the purchase of a Robobrew and even made me up a Galaxy APA which was not on the site. All in cost less that $500 including the Galaxy APA kit and it was delivered within a couple of days.

I just need to find time to set it up and brew now!

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:52 am

Mine came yesterday. May brew on Friday.

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by ackes » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:40 am

McGruff wrote:Mine came yesterday. May brew on Friday.
Mine’s on the way too.

Wondering what I need that’s not in the box? Just a length of tubing for the wort chiller? What I.D?

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:07 am

ackes wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:40 am
McGruff wrote:Mine came yesterday. May brew on Friday.
Mine’s on the way too.

Wondering what I need that’s not in the box? Just a length of tubing for the wort chiller? What I.D?

Yeah you will need tubing and the hose attachment if you do not have one lying around.

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:36 am

If you have a milk crate around put the unit on it for much needed ventilation. I am looking for a fan to strap underneath to suck out some hot air. Computer fan?

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by ackes » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:45 am

McGruff wrote:If you have a milk crate around put the unit on it for much needed ventilation. I am looking for a fan to strap underneath to suck out some hot air. Computer fan?
Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up. Will do.
I’m gonna use some sturdy work benches to put mine on and they’ve got some holes / places for airflow - so that should help too. But will do the milk crate as well.

How’s everyone dealing with the evaporation / humidity from boil? I know a range fan is ideal (venting directly outside) - but not quite set up for that in basement yet. Plan on doing by open window with a fan sucking all moisture out the window.

Seem problematic? Anyone else doing similar?

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:13 am

ackes wrote:
McGruff wrote:If you have a milk crate around put the unit on it for much needed ventilation. I am looking for a fan to strap underneath to suck out some hot air. Computer fan?
Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up. Will do.
I’m gonna use some sturdy work benches to put mine on and they’ve got some holes / places for airflow - so that should help too. But will do the milk crate as well.

How’s everyone dealing with the evaporation / humidity from boil? I know a range fan is ideal (venting directly outside) - but not quite set up for that in basement yet. Plan on doing by open window with a fan sucking all moisture out the window.

Seem problematic? Anyone else doing similar?

I have a removeable 450CFM inline fan I got through Amazon fitted into my basement window in the room with the RoboBrew. No moisture issues, no smells in the house. If I do a permanent setup, i I may put in a custom hood but so far, no need. Boil off on a 60 minute boil is approximately 2L.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”