KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Re: Robobrew V3

Post by KB1138 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Jthulu wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:15 pm
Has anyone distilled in their Robobrew yet?
Fermenting my first corn wash as we speak
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:54 am

PMackie wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:28 pm
McGruff wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:10 am
A robobrew user on the facebook page had a fire in his and is sending it back for a store credit. He is done and moving on to something else. For this reason I do not use the sleep timer to wake up to strike temp water. I realize this is one unit of thousands sold, but not worth your house burning down.
Yeah I seen that actually, I am not sure he is telling the whole truth though. Regardless I only have mine on and plugged in while I am around. I had one board burn up and the new one provided has been great.
I'm thinking he probably was telling the truth. My Robobrew circuit board melted last weekend while I was trying to brew for the Boxing Rock comp. Smoke was billowing from the bottom and if I wasn't right there I'm pretty sure there would have been a fire. Luckily I was brewing outside as I don't have water hooked up in my basement yet for chilling, etc as the smell of burning plastic from the wiring was horrible.

I'm waiting on a replacement circuit board now but they are on back order so no idea how long that will take. Luckily I didn't sell my old gear so I can still brew. I'm hoping it will be the upgraded board if it is being made new.
Robobrew wiring meltdonw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:40 pm

Naboo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:54 am
PMackie wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:28 pm
McGruff wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:10 am
A robobrew user on the facebook page had a fire in his and is sending it back for a store credit. He is done and moving on to something else. For this reason I do not use the sleep timer to wake up to strike temp water. I realize this is one unit of thousands sold, but not worth your house burning down.
Yeah I seen that actually, I am not sure he is telling the whole truth though. Regardless I only have mine on and plugged in while I am around. I had one board burn up and the new one provided has been great.
I'm thinking he probably was telling the truth. My Robobrew circuit board melted last weekend while I was trying to brew for the Boxing Rock comp. Smoke was billowing from the bottom and if I wasn't right there I'm pretty sure there would have been a fire. Luckily I was brewing outside as I don't have water hooked up in my basement yet for chilling, etc as the smell of burning plastic from the wiring was horrible.

I'm waiting on a replacement circuit board now but they are on back order so no idea how long that will take. Luckily I didn't sell my old gear so I can still brew. I'm hoping it will be the upgraded board if it is being made new.

Robobrew wiring meltdonw.jpg
I brewed my Boxing Rock beer on the newer circuit board on the weekend without issues. Once you get the new one you should be good to go. It just sucks that they were released this way in the first place. Funny thing is, when mine burnt up, I was brewing for the Big Spruce one!
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:36 pm

I don't understand how they haven't done a full scale product recall. These aren't rare events. Think about how many of us in just this little forum have had issues, including a couple of near fires.

Yikes!

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:39 am

My replacement Robobrew has been working fine. It is not the new board, though as it was last fall. I have a kitchen extinguisher somewhere so I think I will find it and keep it close when I brew. I agree, a total recall should be in order.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:19 am

Scary shit indeed...and us Grainfather users can’t be too smug either as early controller iterations had melting issues. I was concerned as I was the first in Canada (so I was told) to get the Connect. Ed at NG assured me I was okay thankfully. Hope you RB brothers are able to get the manufacturer to make things right as I would’ve considered the RB as a second brewer...or the 65 liter Brewzilla. I am immensely enjoying RB parts on my GF...ie false bottom...and am looking at the camlock RB arm...I likely will have a GrainFrankenBrew soon...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Post by danlatimer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:49 am

I was considering the robobrew jacket for my GF. The GF version costs 3x as much... :rolls_eyes:

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:51 pm

Well...the price point can it be argued...they’ll sort it im sure...Dave is standing which helps...wondering how long before OBK bails...

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:55 pm

danlatimer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:49 am
I was considering the robobrew jacket for my GF. The GF version costs 3x as much... :rolls_eyes:
Ali Baba a fraction...and they sell Robobrew and parts...Grainfather protected for a few years...money does talk...my Robobrew false bottom a fraction of what a replacement GF bottom is...check out David Heath on YouTube...he is great...a Brit out of Norway....

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:11 am

I am definitely not selling my old sanke keg electric system. You never know when you will need it.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:00 am

danlatimer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:49 am
I used 2 layers of reflectex (sp) bubble wrap. I had it so it was free.

S

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:48 am

Does it stick to the sides?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:56 am

Velcro tabs.

S

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:45 am

No, I mean stick, as in won't come off. I have read that some yoga mats or similar won't come off. But your material may be different.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Oh I see what your talking about. This is foil backed insulation. It does not stick.

S

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Post by Swine » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:28 am

Anyone else have issue with the immersion chiller that comes with the Robobrew?
I find that the top 2-3 turns are out of the wort when it is in the Robobrew for chilling.
I am a bit hesitant to try to bend the 90-deg ends so it would sit down further, as it is stainless steel and I stand a chance of crimping it.
I don't really want to build a new chiller out of copper, just because I don't want to spend the money on it.
I'll try to remember to take a picture next brew day of it.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Swine wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:28 am
Anyone else have issue with the immersion chiller that comes with the Robobrew?
I use a copper imersion chiller that I have which has more surface area and sits in deeper. I'm not a fan of the supplied robobrew chiller.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CartoonCod » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:12 pm

Has anybody upgraded a robobrew v3 to a 3.1 electronics board? I see you can buy the v3.1 electronics and screen. Looks like the wiring is different, but with the provided pin-out seems pretty straightforward. I've been thinking of upgrading before my v3 burns out.

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:54 am

I haven't upgraded yet. My v3 is out of warranty now. Working good so far.

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Post by ackes » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:48 am

McGruff wrote:I haven't upgraded yet. My v3 is out of warranty now. Working good so far.
Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:34 pm

CartoonCod wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:12 pm
Has anybody upgraded a robobrew v3 to a 3.1 electronics board? I see you can buy the v3.1 electronics and screen. Looks like the wiring is different, but with the provided pin-out seems pretty straightforward. I've been thinking of upgrading before my v3 burns out.
After mine had a meltdown (see picture earlier in this thread) Dave at Everwood took it in and replaced the board even though I hadn't bought it from him! It is still a v.3 but he said the problems with the meltdown had been solved in this model of the board so it will be fine. He also promised to look after me if it did have a problem again as he is the rep for Robobrew in NS. It could be you already have the board that is less likely to burn out, depending on when you bought it. Either way I won't leave mine alone for long and definitely would not set the timer for an auto-start just in case.

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:03 am

Me too. I decided a few months ago not to set it to come on an hour or so before brew day.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CartoonCod » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Thanks for the responses folks! It's good to know that the v3 models have been fixed.

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Robobrew V3

Post by Swine » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:56 pm

I cut the elbows off the chiller and put silicone hoses. Now the entire chiller sits in the wort when cooling. Not sure how much of a difference it has made, but I am at more peace with it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”