Using a deep fryer element in boil kettle

A spot to talk general homebrew
GregA
Name: Greg Agnew

Using a deep fryer element in boil kettle

Post by GregA » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:44 pm

So my wife was making home made donuts in our portable deep fryer that has a removable element attached to the control box and I started thinking. I am not electrically minded but Is there any reason why this would not work sitting over the edge of the boil kettle. I only make 3 gal batches and it should sit about 1/3 of the way down in the kettle maybe more and maybe I can find one that sits lower . I would also use an induction burner that I currently use. The goal is to get a quicker boil time. And yes I would not be using this one but buy a new one.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Re: Using a deep fryer element in boil kettle

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:48 pm

it might be fairly high watt density, which would lead to scorching of the sugars in the wort. Then again, it might not! you could calculate the watt density to see (W rating divided by surface area of the element [i believe approximately linear length * diameter * pi]) and compare it with a brewing-specific element. Either way, you could definitely use it to head your strike water (before you add your grain) even if it is high watt density.

Side note, you'll want to have this element plugged into a different circuit than your induction burner, or else you'll most likely trip your circuit breaker.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”