Strawberry Beer Recipe

A spot to talk general homebrew
WyldKnyght
Name: Craig M.

Strawberry Beer Recipe

Post by WyldKnyght » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:19 am

Hello,

I'm looking for a strawberry beer recipe for my wife. She's not a big beer drinker, doesn't like the after taste, so I was hoping to find something flavored that would peak her interest.

Any suggestions?

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: Strawberry Beer Recipe

Post by LiverDance » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:31 am

What I do is brew a Kolsch , Cream Ale, or Blonde ale and then go to the bulk barn and get some concentrated extracts for like $2 each. dip a drink sword into the bottle then stir that in a pint and you have a whatever tasting beer. They have strawberry, cherry, raspberry, etc. This way you don't have to have a whole keg of flavored beer incase someone else wants a straight up pint.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:16 pm

LiverDance wrote:What I do is brew a Kolsch , Cream Ale, or Blonde ale and then go to the bulk barn and get some concentrated extracts for like $2 each. dip a drink sword into the bottle then stir that in a pint and you have a whatever tasting beer. They have strawberry, cherry, raspberry, etc. This way you don't have to have a whole keg of flavored beer incase someone else wants a straight up pint.
This is great advice especially when it comes to strawberry. It’s a very hard to capture that flavor, I would be interested to see how it’s done win Fruili

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:19 pm

The extracts are a great idea. Mckay75 and I did a Berliner Weisse last summer and he did all these awesome ones he got me onto and super easy. We mixed in a few table spoons per pint. 1 cup fruit, 1/2 cup sugar 1/4 cup water and boil on stove for a few minutes. Strain into bowl and refrigerate. Use any fruit or combo you think of. And like Brian said you don't have to have a whole keg of fruit beer. I enjoyed the strawberry one allot in the sour.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Woody » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:31 pm

I almost forgot! If the 1 cup for fruit is frozen it's best to warm and then put it in the bullet or blender then boil. If fresh then straight to the blender and then boil.

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mark Bowser

Post by Bowserm » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:44 pm

I used strawberries in a blonde ale last year. The fermented strawberries was very weird taste in the final product. I would stay away from strawberries and use extract like LiverDance said.

Not only that but even after a month after fermentation was done, I had quite a few bottle bombs. I’m guessing it had to do with the bottling sugar, sugar in the berries and the yeast fermenting in bottle.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Woody » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:23 pm

That's the beauty of making your own extract it's in the fridge and you add it to a poured pint and don't ferment it at all. Super easy and tasty as hell. I still have left over frozen Strawberries from August when we took our girls to a local u pick to get them.

EastCoastHoppers
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Matt

Post by EastCoastHoppers » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:27 pm

WyldKnyght wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:19 am
Hello,

I'm looking for a strawberry beer recipe for my wife. She's not a big beer drinker, doesn't like the after taste, so I was hoping to find something flavored that would peak her interest.

Any suggestions?
Hey Craig! I make a strawberry rhubarb (actually have an all grain kit for it on the site) that is one of my wife's favorites. Next time I brew it I'll let you know and you can take a bottle home for her to try. I would also suggest maybe trying out a Mangrove Jacks cider kit (I stock those too if you are interested). They come in many different flavors; strawberry and pear being one. They are a bit sweeter if that is her thing and she may like it better than beer.

Cheers!
Matt

WyldKnyght
Name: Craig M.

Post by WyldKnyght » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks Matt

EastCoastHoppers wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:27 pm
WyldKnyght wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:19 am
Hello,

Any suggestions?
Hey Craig! I make a strawberry rhubarb (actually have an all grain kit for it on the site) that is one of my wife's favorites. Next time I brew it I'll let you know and you can take a bottle home for her to try. I would also suggest maybe trying out a Mangrove Jacks cider kit (I stock those too if you are interested). They come in many different flavors; strawberry and pear being one. They are a bit sweeter if that is her thing and she may like it better than beer.

Cheers!
Matt

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”