Vermont Ale Yeast Attenuation

A spot to talk general homebrew
Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Vermont Ale Yeast Attenuation

Post by Lisa J » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:48 pm

We've used Yeast Bay Vermont Ale Yeast a few times in IPAs now, and each time it seems to stall. Current batch is sitting at 1.018 and barely bubbling (FG should be 1.011). We brew the same IPA successfully with US-05. For this batch we a) made a starter, and b) moved it to a warmer location (~22.5C) when fermentation visibly slowed to try to coax more activity out of it. Despite this, it still appears to be stalled. Could hit it with some US-05 to finish it off, but surely there's a better way. Any words of wisdom? Thanks!!
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

EastCoastHoppers
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Matt

Re: Vermont Ale Yeast Attenuation

Post by EastCoastHoppers » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:08 pm

Are you washing your yeast from a previous fermentation or starting from a fresh pack? If washing, you may be inadvertently selecting for more flocculant cells and thus yeast that is less attenuating.

If starting fresh, what is your total batch size, starting gravity and how much are you pitching (one pack, two packs)? How big was the starter you did for this batch and what was it's OG? That yeast should attenuate the same as US-05 (~80%).

Was your mash temp any higher this time around? Is your mash thermometer accurate?

You could try gently swirling the bucket or carboy (don't splash it around) to try to rouse the yeast back up into suspension if it is all settling out.

Hope some or any of this helps!

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Re: Vermont Ale Yeast Attenuation

Post by oceanic_brew » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:38 pm

People have noted low attenuation with first generation fermentation with that yeast. I counteracted that by adding 1 lb of dextrose to the boil and that worked well. I’ve made the worse and best IPA I’ve ever made with that yeast so I’m on the fence with it. Have another batch going with it now that’s all Red X malt no starter, 1.044. It’ll be fine.

Even though you moved it to a new location you should try swirling the yeast back up into suspension wait a week and if still no further attenuation then pitch another yeast starter that’s at high Krausen.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”