White floaties in stored brewing water

A spot to talk general homebrew
BrewMachine
Name: Joel Richard

White floaties in stored brewing water

Post by BrewMachine » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:29 am

I always save my cooling water to use as brewing water on my next batch. This morning as I was about to heat up my water I noticed white floaties in my water in two of my vessels. A quick search suggests it may just be minerals dropping out but is normally triggered by freezing and thawing. Any thoughts?Image

Sent from my X30 using Tapatalk

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Re: White floaties in stored brewing water

Post by oceanic_brew » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Chlorine is added in solution to city water and because its volatile at the temperatures and pressure of the environment you are filling it dissipates out of solution rapidly. Even if you were to fill a diaphragm with no oxygen ingress you would still have a separation where the chlorine would end up at the top.

Chlorine only keeps our tap water from developing certain levels of “contamination” when it’s kept in solution and flowing at an acceptable rate.

When you are filling your tanks you are removing all of the mechanisms in place to keep your water at an acceptable aesthetic quality.

If you had the ability to completely filter out anything was going to further react in your water and store it in the absence of oxygen you’d be having a wicked didddly time my son righhhhhhhttttt on by !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Re: White floaties in stored brewing water

Post by oceanic_brew » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:18 pm

Correction. It’s the chemical reaction with organic matter that removes the chlorine when not in an environment where it can dissipate.

Also chlorine only evaporates when above a certain PPM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”