Mixing Beers on Tap?

A spot to talk general homebrew
BrewG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Gerard

Mixing Beers on Tap?

Post by BrewG » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:11 pm

I always brew the same recipes for my keezer (a 7%IPA and a 4% light. 2 corny is all my keezer will hold). Sometimes, I just want something in the middle. A third tap... with a mix of the two... In-between my 7% IPA and the 4% light. I find if I grab a 1/4 pint of IPA and 3/4 pint of light its great. Like a session IPA. Now I'm thinking, If I hack the beer lines from each keg, put a 3 way tee on each line with the output combining feeding a third tap, when that tap draws beer it will pull liquid from from both kegs? Have I gone too far down the rabbit hole on this? I could make the Ipa line that feeds that third tap longer so it would have more resistance thus pouring the perfect ratio!. Any thoughts? If its a fail, I'm out some beer supply lines to restore it how it is now. or.... just keep pouring them manually forget about this and have a home-brew! I have the beer lines and the extra tap in a box labelled "stuff I should not have bought, but did, and now store"

:spilly:

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Re: Mixing Beers on Tap?

Post by oceanic_brew » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:22 pm

I thought about this a couple times. More so in building a manifold so I can easily switch which kegs are sending beer to a tap. The problem i can see happening is in the abrupt change of direction and abrasive edges that could create nucleation points and foaming in the line.

Maybe that would not happen, but I can’t see putting a t in a line making for a decent pour.

Prove me wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:00 am

Definitely can be done. Blending beer is a great way to experiment, see how 2 styles go together, make an average beer better or get a profile your looking for. I would just pour them off tap like your doing but if your up for the next "beer project" and it's something you want do it!

TallDan
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel Cormier

Post by TallDan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:38 pm

This might not be a problem with your setup but I'm thinking you would need both kegs to be relatively the same pressure to avoid beer from one keg making it in the other or install some sort of check valve.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Mix in the glass and you have 3 options.

Sandy

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”