Page 1 of 1
PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:57 pm
by Jimmy
So I am trying to figure out what hose to buy. I've got high temp silicone for my wort transfers, but need something for my immersion chiller and to fill my pots with. I live in an apartment so I will be using this hose to go from the kitchen sink, out to the patio and back to the sink. I want something that is food grade, and is not going to cause off flavors.
I was looking at the clear braided pvc. Would this be my best bet?
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:11 pm
by Keggermeister
I have used that stuff for years. I have to replace it every year though, it de-laminates with prolonged hot useage and kinks easier when that happens. It takes a year or so to happen though.
If you do use it, remember to tighten your clamps a second time with them hot.
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 pm
by ratchet
if it's just for your immersion chiller... then there isn't really a need to worry about it being food grade (since neither it, nor it's contents will be in contact with your beer).
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:10 pm
by Jimmy
ratchet wrote:if it's just for your immersion chiller... then there isn't really a need to worry about it being food grade (since neither it, nor it's contents will be in contact with your beer).
Yeah, I also plan on using it to fill my keggle with hot water.. save myself some running back and forth to the kitchen
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:25 pm
by mr x
What about the RV foodgrade hose at walmart, etc...
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:43 pm
by Jimmy
Not sure what you mean. Is it like a food grade "garden hose" ?
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:53 pm
by mr x
yup
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:06 pm
by Tony L
mr x wrote:What about the RV foodgrade hose at walmart, etc...
That would be the white coloured one?
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:07 pm
by mr x
Yeah, I think it usually is white, maybe with some stripes.
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:10 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
Jimmy wrote:ratchet wrote:if it's just for your immersion chiller... then there isn't really a need to worry about it being food grade (since neither it, nor it's contents will be in contact with your beer).
Yeah, I also plan on using it to fill my keggle with hot water.. save myself some running back and forth to the kitchen
maybe i'm paranoid, but i avoid using hot tap water to brew - i figure it might pick up bad stuff going through the water heater etc. just 2 cents!
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:11 pm
by Jimmy
Yep,I am looking online to try and find some. I will probably end up ordering a couple 50' ones online since the stores around here probably already packed em up for the winter?
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:26 pm
by mr x
I bet WM and CT have an RV section all year. Usually around automotive section at WM.
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:08 am
by LiverDance
I got my RV hose at Princess auto, it comes in 25ft lenghts and FWIW I always us hot tap water to brew.
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:34 pm
by Jimmy
LiverDance wrote:I got my RV hose at Princess auto, it comes in 25ft lenghts and FWIW I always us hot tap water to brew.
I picked up 2 50' hoses from there tonight, $25 a piece.
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:58 pm
by KitrGy
Is it the blue hose?
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:25 am
by Jimmy
KitrGy wrote:Is it the blue hose?
This hose is white
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:41 pm
by ratchet
Re: PVC Braided Hose
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:53 pm
by mr x
Yeah, that's the one.