Page 1 of 1
Favourite IPA BAse recipe
Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 pm
by Celiacbrew
I've been using roughly the same grist for my last 6 IPA/DIPA and I think I have hit my sweet spot. I'm using 50% british pale ale and 50% something pale like 2-row or pils to dilute the maltiness a bit. Just seems to work with whatever hop bill I am using. I up the gravity a bit for the tropical ones and lower it for the citrus/pine.
Anyone else using the same base recipe over and over in their IPAs?
Re: Favourite IPA BAse recipe
Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:35 pm
by jacinthebox
MO/golden promise, Vienna, and wheat for ipa.
Example for a 10gal batch
18lb MO 4lbs Vienna & 2lbs of flaked wheat or oats
Re: Favourite IPA BAse recipe
Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:31 pm
by Celiacbrew
Do you adjust the percentages for gravity?
Re: Favourite IPA BAse recipe
Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:05 pm
by jacinthebox
I do based on what I'm trying to brew. But most of my apa and ipa use that ratio and ingredients
Re: Favourite IPA BAse recipe
Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:35 pm
by MikeMorrison
I love SMaSH APA/ IPAs but lately I've been adding a pretty high percentage of malted oats to those recipes and loving the results. My latest IPA was 60/40 2-row/ Oats and I was really happy with it.
Re: Favourite IPA BAse recipe
Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:40 pm
by Celiacbrew
That is a lot of oats. Do you find your efficiency drops with that much oat malt? Any issues with conversion?
Re: Favourite IPA BAse recipe
Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:49 pm
by MikeMorrison
I'll have to check my notes at home but I'm pretty sure I hit or went above my Beersmith target gravity for that last one. My efficiency is a bit all over the place and generally pretty low so I'm never 100% sure what I'm going to get. Don't really care either. haha. I think buying a grain mill would help me dial it in.
Re: Favourite IPA BAse recipe
Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:51 pm
by Celiacbrew
Definitely. Oat malt is kind of a weird malt to mill. Some kernels end up pulverized and others just seem to slip through. I will have to try the 40% oat malt some time. I made one with 20% and it was great.
Re: Favourite IPA BAse recipe
Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:19 pm
by MikeMorrison
Celiacbrew wrote: ↑Wed May 09, 2018 1:40 pm
That is a lot of oats. Do you find your efficiency drops with that much oat malt? Any issues with conversion?
Had a look back. My target gravity in Beersmith was 1054 and I got around 1050. Not out of the ordinary with my moving target efficiency. Dropped to 1008 before I kegged it. So nothing crazy in terms of lost efficiency.
Cheers!
Re: Favourite IPA BAse recipe
Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:21 pm
by mumblecrunch
Celiacbrew wrote: ↑Wed May 09, 2018 3:51 pm
Definitely. Oat malt is kind of a weird malt to mill. Some kernels end up pulverized and others just seem to slip through. I will have to try the 40% oat malt some time. I made one with 20% and it was great.
When I use oat malt I usually put it through my mill two or three times alone and then mix it into the rest of my grain bill before putting that through.
The grist I've used for my last three IPAs that I'm fairly happy with is:
65% base malt
10% Munich
8% Malted Oats
8% Torrified Wheat
8% Vienna
I formulated this recipe with a 2/3 to 1/3 split of MO to Pils for base malt. My latest batch is 100% MO and I'm thinking I could maybe have reduced the Munich a little.
Re: Favourite IPA BAse recipe
Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:58 pm
by Celiacbrew
that's a good idea Aaron, I guess in one orientation oat malt is pretty narrow like rye malt.
Just noticing that we have all dropped all crystal malts and get our sweetness other ways.