Page 1 of 1

festa brew vs. brew house

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:41 pm
by Bärner Müntschi
Seems like my only two options for now. I assume they're pretty much the same? Any one have any personal experience?

Re: festa brew vs. brew house

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:46 pm
by Jimmy
I haven't used the Brew House, but have made quite a few Festa Kits. As far as I know the Festa Brew is a full 23L of all-grain wort, whereas the Brew House requires a top up with water. Both are supposed to be good kits though!

Re: festa brew vs. brew house

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:56 pm
by GAM
I have used BH & F. They are both good but you atr paying for 8l of water in the FB.

Sandy

Re: festa brew vs. brew house

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:32 pm
by Tony L
GAM wrote:I have used BH & F. They are both good but you atr paying for 8l of water in the FB.

Sandy

Not quite right.
With Festa you are paying for 23 liters of fresh wort ( the best kit in my opinion ) and with BrewHouse you are paying for concentrated wort
that requires a pH balancer ( supplied ) to adjust the kit so it can be brewed.
The Festa is in my opinion the best out there regarding kits. Both can be tweaked to add something to the brew that wasn't supplied with the kit.

Re: festa brew vs. brew house

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:06 pm
by derek
GAM wrote:I have used BH & F. They are both good but you atr paying for 8l of water in the FB.
As Tony says, you're not just paying for water. If that was the case, you could just buy the cans, that are concentrated even further.

Re: festa brew vs. brew house

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:31 pm
by papercrane
Tony L wrote: with BrewHouse you are paying for concentrated wort that requires a pH balancer ( supplied ) to adjust the kit so it can be brewed.
Are you sure the BH is concentrated? I just assumed they produced a higher gravity wort with the intention of it being watered down. The pH balancer isn't because they concentrated the wort, but because they add food acid (phosphoric acid I think) to lower the ph and inhibit bacteria growth.

Re: festa brew vs. brew house

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:42 am
by Tony L
[quote="papercraneAre you sure the BH is concentrated? I just assumed they produced a higher gravity wort with the intention of it being watered down. The pH balancer isn't because they concentrated the wort, but because they add food acid (phosphoric acid I think) to lower the ph and inhibit bacteria growth.[/quote]


As far as I know, you are right. It isn't concentrated like extract, but as with high gravity brewing you need to dilute to get the gravity of the style it portraits.
To me this is concentrated, but it is still wort in a bag, not extract.