Accidental fermentation

A spot to talk general homebrew
alltimelowe
Name: Chris Lowe

Accidental fermentation

Post by alltimelowe » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:00 pm

Not sure if this fits here, as it's not beer, but I accidentally fermented a drink and am looking for some insight.

I make this drink most winters that is a combo of turmeric, garlic, ginger, lemon, honey, and cayenne to help battle the sickness. My last batch, maybe Jan or Feb, has some extra so I bottled it in a couple swing-top bottles (sterilized) and stuck it in the basement. I just opened one up to give a sample since it came up in conversation and the thing fizzed and foamed everywhere. It definitely smells fermented and a little sample kinda reminds me of kombucha.

I honestly thought the ingredients would have prevented it from fermenting—though I have considered what it would be like to use it as part of a beer recipe. Anyway, I've never brewed without following a recipe so I'm feeling outside my comfort zone.

Does anyone have insight into the safety of the drink or any advice what to do with it? I didn't intentionally introduce bacteria, but something definitely got to it.

Cheers

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Re: Accidental fermentation

Post by oceanic_brew » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:21 am

It’s likely safe to drink. If it doesn’t knock you off your ass with a disgusting vile odor it’s a good sign.

My only concern would be the alcohol content. Which is ultimately what’s required to kill off many of the bacteria that are harmful to humans. If it fermented on its own in a sealed environment it would not take a whole lot of fermentation to produce that amount of carbonation which means you likely may not have the level of alcohol required.

I remember reading somewhere around 1.7% but I’m not sure on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”