A spot to talk general homebrew
wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Yuzu juice in Halifax?

Post by wcturnedec » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:44 am

Hey folks,

Had a can of Godspeed's Yuzu Saison at the BG and loved it and wanted to make something similar at home, anyone know of spot in the HRM that might sell Yuzu juice?
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Re: Yuzu juice in Halifax?

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 am

I don't think I've actually seen straight yuzu juice even here in japan - also I think you might want some of the rind to really get the aromatics.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by wcturnedec » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 am

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 am
I don't think I've actually seen straight yuzu juice even here in japan - also I think you might want some of the rind to really get the aromatics.
Thanks Liam! Is the Yuzu juice over there blended with something else? I wish I could source some fresh yuzu but don't think that's possible here in the HRM, if I were back in Toronto or Vancouver I'm sure I could find it

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 am

wcturnedec wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 am
CorneliusAlphonse wrote:
Thanks Liam! Is the Yuzu juice over there blended with something else? I wish I could source some fresh yuzu but don't think that's possible here in the HRM, if I were back in Toronto or Vancouver I'm sure I could find it
I guess what I mean is, i see lots of things with yuzu as an ingredient (ponzu, different flavoured things, etc), and i see fresh yuzu (and other japanese citrus) pretty regularly, but I've never seen the juice sold. That said, I haven't been explicitly looking for it, and I live in a pretty small community which wouldnt have all the options!

might be worth asking somewhere like Pete's, or the asian grocery stores - they'd be the ones to get fresh yuzu, if anyone. but that'd be seasonal, maybe nov to march i'd guess. Mostly what i see in shops now is standard citrus from other countries.

PS how was the Godspeed beer? I've been wanting to try some - i was in tokyo just a day off from when he was selling some over here, back in January ish.
Conditioning:

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:59 am

also, if you want to make something in the same vein more conveniently, consider just using other citrus! would be slightly different aromatics, but can still be super tasty!
Conditioning:

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by wcturnedec » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:08 am

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 am
wcturnedec wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 am
CorneliusAlphonse wrote:
I guess what I mean is, i see lots of things with yuzu as an ingredient (ponzu, different flavoured things, etc), and i see fresh yuzu (and other japanese citrus) pretty regularly, but I've never seen the juice sold. That said, I haven't been explicitly looking for it, and I live in a pretty small community which wouldnt have all the options!

might be worth asking somewhere like Pete's, or the asian grocery stores - they'd be the ones to get fresh yuzu, if anyone. but that'd be seasonal, maybe nov to march i'd guess. Mostly what i see in shops now is standard citrus from other countries.

PS how was the Godspeed beer? I've been wanting to try some - i was in tokyo just a day off from when he was selling some over here, back in January ish.
Ok make sense, some folks over on Reddit have been pointing me to a few places in Halifax (Pete's, Independent Mercantile, Asian grocer over in Dartmouth etc).

I was chatting with Luc, the brewer at Godspeed, and he get's his Juze juice from a farmer in Japan. He's got the hookups clearly haha

I only had the Yuzu Saison and was intrigued by the aroma/taste of citrus that I had to learn more. Also about your comment using another citrus totally makes sense as well.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:36 am

wcturnedec wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:44 am
Hey folks,

Had a can of Godspeed's Yuzu Saison at the BG and loved it and wanted to make something similar at home, anyone know of spot in the HRM that might sell Yuzu juice?
I've got pure yuzu juice I could part with enough for a batch or 2 for you. I use it to dose into kegs now and then when the mood strikes, it's extremely potent and tasty. I've used it in IPAs, DIPAs and stouts, all delicious. Takes maybe 20ml per keg.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by wcturnedec » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:42 am

NASH wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:36 am
wcturnedec wrote:
Hey folks,

I've got pure yuzu juice I could part with enough for a batch or 2 for you. I use it to dose into kegs now and then when the mood strikes, it's extremely potent and tasty. I've used it in IPAs, DIPAs and stouts, all delicious. Takes maybe 20ml per keg.
That would be amazing Nash, thanks! I had memory of you using it in the past but couldn't find any info on any of your past beers using yuzu.

Are you around the brewery today or tomorrow? Whatever time works for you I could swing by on my bike. :cheers2:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:06 pm

wcturnedec wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:42 am
NASH wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:36 am
wcturnedec wrote:
Hey folks,

That would be amazing Nash, thanks! I had memory of you using it in the past but couldn't find any info on any of your past beers using yuzu.

Are you around the brewery today or tomorrow? Whatever time works for you I could swing by on my bike. :cheers2:
Not sure what's up with lack of notifications on my phone but I haven't been getting 'em! I can meet tomorrow afternoon, send me a PM to solidify a time :cheers2:

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:37 am

where'd you get straight yuzu juice Nash? just curious/posterity!
Conditioning:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:14 pm

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:where'd you get straight yuzu juice Nash? just curious/posterity!
I order it in out of Montreal. There's tons of it all over Amazon and other places but more often than not it's 2nd or 3rd pressing, blends, or diluted but the real deal is out there to be had but be prepared to pay for it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”