Regulator Problem

A spot to talk general homebrew
Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Regulator Problem

Post by Broob » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:15 pm

Just got a refill of my tank. Hooked everything up as usual. I have a dual gauge regulator that I got from Dave a few years ago that I have connected to a 3 way manifold. I open the valve on the tank and pressure builds up immediately to about 50 psi and then the pressure relief valve in the regulator slowly leaks.

Doesn’t matter if the flow dial on the front of the regulator is all the way up or down.

Is this a problem with the pressure relief on the regulator or something else?
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

chalmers
Name: Chris

Re: Regulator Problem

Post by chalmers » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:26 pm

Start by backing the regulator off completely (instead of delivering 12psi, deliver 0psi), and then open the tank valve. Is the PRV still going? Is there gas flowing out through the gas out? Do this with all kegs undone, manifold open, and QDs not connected to anything. Maybe release the pressure from all lines (with the tank valve closed) first, to be sure there's nothing built up.
If the PRV is going with the pressure backed off, it's possible beer got in there and is screwing with that valve. What does the tank pressure read?

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:30 pm

Ok...I had ( have) issues like that...had to replace the old Chinese reg...not Dave’s but same via OBK with a solid brass plug as it leaked like a sieve...I recently acquired another in my collection from Noble Grape (US)and it’s leaking...now my really good US reg is acting fucky too and I’m thinking it’s the pull ring that resets the pressure....gas, grass or ass- I’m not having a lot of regulator luck and thinking two of three need a rebuild...sorry this rant doesn’t help but add to your woes...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Post by Broob » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:23 pm

I think the problem was with the tank having been in the garage (hot as hell) and then I put it in the fridge where the regulator etc was. I took everything out of the fridge and let it all get to the same temp. Connected it back up and it works fine. Weird. Thanks for the help.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”