Page 1 of 1

My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:16 pm
by GillettBreweryCnslt
So I've got 99 problems and my efficiency is definitely one.

I made a nut brown on Sunday and the efficiency was 62%
I made a double oatmeal stout last night and the efficiency was 64%

I'm lost. Let's look at last nights brew for this example.

I've got my grain mill set to the 0.039 factory setting it came with (and I checked my crush last night and every time i crush). My temperatures were spot on for the entire mash; I bought new thermometers and double checked everything. Last night I mashed with 4 gallons for a 11.5 lb grain bill then sparged with another 4.5 gallons to get to a 6.5 gallon pre-boil volume. I recirculated the first gallon of the wort, then drew off about 2.5 gallons of wort. I stirred the grain bed after adding the sparge water, let the bed settle for 20 minutes (I got distracted by the baby) and then drew off about 4 gallons of wort from that. My pre-boil OG was 1.0404 (temperature corrected) and my post-boil OG right before adding the yeast (at room temp) was 1.050 when it should have been 1.060.

Any tricks, tips, hints, ideas, instructions? I know that most of you batch sparging are getting somewhere between 70-80% (closer to 80 from what I've heard) and I'm jealous and frustrated.

Cheers
Dave

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:28 pm
by mr x
With 11.5lbs and 1.050 og @ 5.5 gallons (I am assuming this is your volume at flame-out), I get 67% efficiency. I'm not sure what to tell you. The only time I've had efficiency problems was using heavy amounts of flaked wheat. What are you using for a Mash Tun? Do you have any idea of your mash pH (although I doubt that's the issue)? Have you taken gravities while running off the sparge? The other thing to check would be your scale.

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:33 pm
by LiverDance
I would add these questions to your hunting list: What were your measured grain bed temp after sparging? Are you sure your volumes are correct? What does your crush lool like?

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:29 pm
by sleepyjamie
I'm having the same issues and I have a feeling it's either my mash ph or the factory setting on my barley crusher (however my crush looks good, at least i think it looks good).

Has anyone here ever had to adjust their mash ph?

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:49 pm
by mr x
I do some pH adjustments on my 50% wheat beers, but nothing else anymore. My water is so soft, that it doesn't buffer much, and I also tend to use salts which keep the pH right.

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:57 pm
by GillettBreweryCnslt
I have the 55qt coleman cooler mash tun. I feel that my grain crushing is good but I could always make it a bit finer next time. I didn't take the gravities of the wort while running it off, just after the sparge and after the boil. When are good intervals to do that? and really, what can one do if while sparging you notice that the gravity is too low? Aside from recirculating. I'll check my scale, but it's fairly new (less then 3 months old) I got it on sale at Stokes for $10. I use RO/DI water that is run through a softener before it goes through the RO/DI unit.

Think I should do a double sparge? for example use 4 gallons for the mash, the 2.5 for the first sparge and 2 for the second?

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:07 pm
by Tim Gregory
Fishdisease wrote:Think I should do a double sparge? for example use 4 gallons for the mash, the 2.5 for the first sparge and 2 for the second?
http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... f=3&t=1333" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what I did, and I've noticed an improvement. Getting closer to 75% now. Should have reported in the original thread I guess... :oops:

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:08 pm
by mr x
I was thinking you could take the gravity at the end of both run-offs, just to start collecting some data which might be helpful.

I have read that you should not use ro/di water for brewing, although I think that was related to fermentation issues, but it could cause mash problems as well maybe...?

A double sparge might be useful to try, see what the results are. I keep LME onhand, but mostly just for use in huge beers, to correct gravity, as the big beers are unpredictable on my system. Might be a good idea for you, until you get things straightened out.

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:10 pm
by sleepyjamie
Fishdisease wrote:I have the 55qt coleman cooler mash tun. I feel that my grain crushing is good but I could always make it a bit finer next time. I didn't take the gravities of the wort while running it off, just after the sparge and after the boil. When are good intervals to do that? and really, what can one do if while sparging you notice that the gravity is too low? Aside from recirculating. I'll check my scale, but it's fairly new (less then 3 months old) I got it on sale at Stokes for $10. I use RO/DI water that is run through a softener before it goes through the RO/DI unit.

Think I should do a double sparge? for example use 4 gallons for the mash, the 2.5 for the first sparge and 2 for the second?
i have the exact same equipment you have.

another possibility i was wondering if it was my braided filter, or perhaps the time which i drain my mash tun.

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:11 pm
by sleepyjamie
fishdisease.

im doing a brew this weekend (probably sunday). maybe you can come over and we can do a double brew and compare how we brew since we have the same equipment.

jamie

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:30 pm
by GillettBreweryCnslt
Would love to come over but I'm in NB all weekend. The next time you're brewing, I'll come over for sure.

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:40 pm
by sleepyjamie
Fishdisease wrote:Would love to come over but I'm in NB all weekend. The next time you're brewing, I'll come over for sure.
I'm off the week from Dec 26-30, and I plan on doing a few 10 gallon batches that week (weather permitting).
You're welcome to come by then.

Jamie

Re: My Efficiency Sucks.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:59 pm
by LiverDance
You could try double crushing as well.