Page 1 of 1

My IPA "may" be over carb'd!

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:49 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
So I put this one straight in the keg from primary after 2 weeks with the intention of getting to it soon. That was 6 months ago. And here is the result of primary to keg with a long keg storage. Just a little bit of head on it...

Image

Re: My IPA "may" be over carb'd!

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:51 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
yeah, and the ibu's are dialed back from what it originally was, but it's freakin' delicious! Just had to wait 20 minutes for the beer to find it's way out of the head.

Re: My IPA "may" be over carb'd!

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:54 am
by mr x
lol, did that with a saison that I kegged to soon...

Re: My IPA "may" be over carb'd!

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:06 pm
by chalmers
You probably already knew this, but:

It might scrub off some of the hop aroma, but you can reduce the head by disconnecting the gas line and popping the pressure relief a few times over the next few days. The CO2 will come out of solution, and create an equilibrium with the headspace.

Or, just pour it into a jug and pour as the beer appears.

Re: My IPA "may" be over carb'd!

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:28 pm
by moxie
You might have to purge that bitch several times! Good luck. Looks tasty! If you chill your glass it might marginally help as well.

Re: My IPA "may" be over carb'd!

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:30 pm
by GillettBreweryCnslt
I've been purging it twice a day since I tapped it and it's still pouring about 50% head. That's with a cold mug, proper pour and I even have a spiral in that keg! I figure a couple more days and she'll be in good shape.

Re: My IPA "may" be over carb'd!

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:33 pm
by moxie
:cheers:
Fishdisease wrote:I've been purging it twice a day since I tapped it and it's still pouring about 50% head. That's with a cold mug, proper pour and I even have a spiral in that keg! I figure a couple more days and she'll be in good shape.
It will take some time to reach equilibrium, definitely!