First Starter question

A spot to talk general homebrew
wader98
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Wade

First Starter question

Post by wader98 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:19 pm

I've always made smaller batches (2.5G) and have mostly used dry yeast.
I built a stir plate and looking to get a erlenmeyer flask but was wondering what is the recommendation on size for a 5 gallon batch ? Mr Malty is saying for a 1.060 ale I can do a liter starter....
would I be ok with a 2 L flask or should I go bigger to be able to make 2 liter starters if needed?

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Re: First Starter question

Post by Woody » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:34 pm

2 L should cover you just fine for 5g batches. I do 2L starters in a 2L flask with some fermcap with no issues. I do 10-12 gallon batches and that's when the 5L one comes in handy.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Total side note to your post for anyone getting into starters and I can't stress this enough! Old yeast may take additional steps to make it happy again! Treat your yeast well and pitch allot and you will have a healthy fermentation and better beer. I mean look at the best before date. Is it 1 month or 6months old? The older it is the more work you have to do along with higher gravity worts you may be pitching it in. This calculator has been posted on here before but I guarantee it will help you make better beer so check it out. I've made allot of bad beer so I'm speaking for experience.

http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

wader98
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Wade

Post by wader98 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Sounds good thanks for the info woody.
I’ve been referring to mr malty but will check out your link.

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Of all of the elements in brewing, yeast is what I’ve taken the most interest in and find to be the most fascinating and rewarding part of the process. It’s probably why I enjoy Belgians so much as the beer is drastically transformed more with the yeast than with any other ingredient or process so it seems.

I use Mr Malty and Brewer’s Friend . I’ve used others, I think with either one as long as you stick to it you’ll at least be pitching enough healthy yeast.

I’ve heard some criticism of the calculators under estimating the viability of the yeast. You’ll find it unsettling buying a 4 month old liquid yeast pack (every store in HRM has em) and then punching the data into the calculator to see you’ve just paid full price for half the product you wanted.

This is anecdotal but I’ve had calculators give me 17% viability and used a starter and have had zero problems.

However Successful fermentation does not mean great beer or healthy yeast. There seems to be a lot of “my yeast took off like a rocket, must have been a healthy pitch” it’s unfortunately not that simple.

There’s always exceptions and this is one that’s recommended as an experiment rather than a rule but I would like to try pitching .75 million cells or less per ml per DegPlato of healthy second generation
krausened yeast. This is of course less than recommended in some cases and not the outcome you’ll get after first generation. Just an experiment in order to get a different flavor profile from my Belgian yeasts.

If that is a viable option for a Belgian, then it’s probably the last thing you want to do in your IPA’s or Stouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”