Fermentation time question

A spot to talk general homebrew
JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Fermentation time question

Post by JEH » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:37 pm

Hey guys,
Im wondering how long I can let beer sit in the carboy safely. Ive mainly made the recipes from the NG that tell you to not let it sit there for more than 10 days but alot of the recipes I have read online recommend longer time in the carboy. I have a coffee stout in there now and am deciding how long I should leave it. Its been in since Monday and looks like its almost done fermenting.
Thanks

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Fermentation time question

Post by ratchet » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:52 pm

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:53 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what Ratchet said.

+ autolysis takes a lot longer than some sources would lead you to believe.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:04 pm

I also think it greatly depends on the strain of yeast and more importantly the temperature at which the carboy is stored.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:18 am

akr71 wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what Ratchet said.

+ autolysis takes a lot longer than some sources would lead you to believe.
OK, but ratchet didn't actually say anything, which means I'm going to have to actually go and read the link he posted :-)

Doesn't autolysis actually require it to be sitting on the dead yeast? If I rack a finished beer into a clean carboy, I would expect it to last a long time... (Not something I've done, and I now have enough kegs not to need to).
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:26 am

Yeah, it's the dead yest IIRC that are the problem. I expect it should last a long time too once racked off, as the yeast carried over should be minimal.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:23 pm

derek wrote:Doesn't autolysis actually require it to be sitting on the dead yeast? If I rack a finished beer into a clean carboy, I would expect it to last a long time... (Not something I've done, and I now have enough kegs not to need to).
Errrmm, yeah. I rarely ever put my beers in secondary anymore, unless its going to sit for a while before packaging (a lager or big beer). I was assuming JEH was talking about primary fermentation and the beer was sitting on the yeast.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JEH » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Well, what im talking about it my beer having been in a primary for 3 days, and has now been in a carboy for 7. Its still sitting on some yeast. So from what ive read, should i be racking the beer again and letting it sit without yeast for conditioning?
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
-Double Chocolate Espresso Stout
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:18 pm

Personally, I wouldn't worry about 7 days.

Back to Rachet - if the beer tells you its done (OG reading) its done.

RDWHAHB
Andy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:33 am

Yeah, if the room is cool, I'd have no issue waiting 3 weeks.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:25 pm

mr x wrote:Yeah, if the room is cool, I'd have no issue waiting 3 weeks.
I brewed a beer with LiverDance before I left for Chicago, and I left it in primary. And now I'm in St. John's. I think this is week 3 of primary fermentation at about 15C/60F. A bit cold, but I gave it a shake last night and could hear the yeasties coming to life, so I'm not terribly worried. I have neighbours that will drink anything! ;)

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Yes you do X)

I was not in Chi Town nor am I in St. J, and mine is still in primary as well :o I have no cool excuses and I don't feel I need any :lol: 3 weeks in primary... no problem...it wants to be beer :cheers:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Well, I brewed 4 days before heading to Orlando, so I pushed everything from the primary to a pseudo-secondary before I left. So it's three weeks now, and still working in the secondary. I might as well just have left it in the primary :-)
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:13 pm

I think you can get a different flavour profile from going to secondary well before finishing though, and probably in a good way. Kinda like that British double-drop method...

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”