Source for a larger BIAB bag

A spot to talk general homebrew
dcn
Name: D

Source for a larger BIAB bag

Post by dcn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:58 pm

I just got a 15 gallon kettle from Everwood, but the 24” x 24” bag I’ve been brewing with isn’t large enough to fit it. I have a basket which came with the kettle, but unless I find a way to suspend it and use it instead of the bag I’m going to need a larger brew bag. Anyone have any advice? Should I ditch the idea of brewing in a bag altogether and get some pulleys and rope for the basket or should I use get a larger bag? The only issue I see with the basket it it won’t go any deeper than the thermometers temp probe so there’s a lot of space between the bottom of the kettle and the basket itself, about 18 cm. Thanks for any advice.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Re: Source for a larger BIAB bag

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:48 pm

dcn wrote:I just got a 15 gallon kettle from Everwood, but the 24” x 24” bag I’ve been brewing with isn’t large enough to fit it. I have a basket which came with the kettle, but unless I find a way to suspend it and use it instead of the bag I’m going to need a larger brew bag. Anyone have any advice? Should I ditch the idea of brewing in a bag altogether and get some pulleys and rope for the basket or should I use get a larger bag? The only issue I see with the basket it it won’t go any deeper than the thermometers temp probe so there’s a lot of space between the bottom of the kettle and the basket itself, about 18 cm. Thanks for any advice.
Pretty easy to sew one. I made one and its still holding very strong.

https://www.mashedin.beer Will make you a custom one as well and local.

Sent from the brewery

dcn

Post by dcn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:26 pm

Got it thanks a ton! So do you have any idea how the basket would work for this setup if I didn’t get a larger bag? Only way I can see it working is if the wort cycles throughout the pot throughout the mash because it doesn’t go past the temp probe which is up the wall of the kettle like this

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:45 pm

dcn wrote:Got it thanks a ton! So do you have any idea how the basket would work for this setup if I didn’t get a larger bag? Only way I can see it working is if the wort cycles throughout the pot throughout the mash because it doesn’t go past the temp probe which is up the wall of the kettle like this

What size batches are you going for? I would say as long as the grains have enough room it would be fine. I have a temp prob and a couple elements in mine and its never ripped or got caught. If you need to add a little heat lift the bag off the bottom

Sent from the brewery

dcn

Post by dcn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:55 pm

I’m doing 5 gallons but I made sure to ask for a 15 in case I want to do 10 gallon batches periodically. I have two kegs so far so it might be nice to have the double batch option. Good point on lifting the bag if a temp bump is needed. My current bag sort of works but it takes some creative binder clip use to make it work. In the stock pot I was using it was perfectly sized but I was limited to two gallon batches. I kegged what’s hopefully my last one of those for a while last evening. Seems like it’s not much more effort to make 5 gallons.

Hows the element working for you? I have a propane burner but can already see going electric might be better and not very expensive.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Handy to be able to be indoors. Im not sure the 15g kettle could manage a 10g batch BIAB. You could use a mash tun and brew 10g batches

Sent from the brewery

dcn

Post by dcn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Ah ok thanks. I have a garage at least so I can get shelter and ventilation but still can see electric eventually. Thanks again for all the advice.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:34 am

dcn wrote:Ah ok thanks. I have a garage at least so I can get shelter and ventilation but still can see electric eventually. Thanks again for all the advice.
No problem.BIAB is easy and the clean up is so much easier.

Going electric was more of a project for me than neccessity. It does make brewing easier with little kids not having to be outside and running in and out. I brew in my basement bathroom with a fan in the window and it works for me. Can watch a Football game and brew at the same time. Or start a mash, cut the power, go out and do errands then come back and pull the bag and boil.

Sent from the brewery

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:08 am

I use a bag from mashed in gear, it works well. I’d set up a pulley system too, it’s easy enough and you can get all of the parts at Kent or Home Depot. Even if it’s a smaller batch that you can lift on your own it’s nice to be able to just hoist it up and let it drip out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”