Propper Starter - Noble Grape

A spot to talk general homebrew
wader98
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Wade

Propper Starter - Noble Grape

Post by wader98 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:15 am

I think it was Northern Brewer that was selling cans of Fast pitch in the US and I see Noble grape has there own version....

Wort in can...

Introducing the Propper Starter!
Propper Starter is concentrated, nutrient-rich wort that makes it easy to give your yeast the proper start when preparing for your brew day. No more measuring messy DME. No more waiting to boil and cool. Simply mix one can with an equal amount of clean water in a sanitized flask to produce one litre of ready starter wort.

One (1) can of Propper Starter makes one litre (1L) starter

I've only made 2 starters so far without any issues....is this worth the 5$ ????

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Re: Propper Starter - Noble Grape

Post by danlatimer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:26 am

I saw that the other day. I was thinking... hmm, the wort is more expensive than the finished product haha :)

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:24 am

Haven't tried it yet, but figure I can probably get something very close to starter gravity with another pass through the grain post-sparge. Going to do this, mix with yeast nutrient, and process in mason jars in pressure cooker. (I do a lot of canning.) Have ready made starter for no money.

I know others have done this, so not an original idea...

Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Post by Peterpasha » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:16 pm

I bought a can after seeing it in BrewYourOwn magazine, and just have used it for a lager starter. It's in the fermenter now, so I'll let you know how it works out. I'm not sure it's any great savings in time or money, seeing as you still have to boil some water for the starter either way.
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:27 pm

i grabbed a can and a bottle of water and just threw everything in the starter and it worked great! very easy and fast with no clean up :)
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Andrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:40 pm

It does seem super temping to me to try, but I'm cheap. So ill probably think about trying it for years and never will lol.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:18 am

I saw that in the email too. I might have to try it. Making a starter is a pain, although that’s part of the reason I’ve been using dry yeast so much lately. There’s a lot more variety than there used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wader98
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Wade

Post by wader98 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:02 pm

After making my starter last night I kinda regret not trying a can. I know it’s not super time consuming but with a 2 year old it’s hard to find time to do anything!

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:51 am

I bought a few can's on Friday and used one for a Kolsch Starter. It is bubbling away now in the fermentation chamber at 15.5 degrees, so it seems to work quite well. Also Saved me a ton of time with a 16 month old!
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”