Lacto Pelicle or mould?

A spot to talk general homebrew
ScotianHobo

Lacto Pelicle or mould?

Post by ScotianHobo » Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 pm

Hoppy Friday... (yeah I went there....)

Did a no boil berliner weisse recipe that some totally reliable expert blogger I found in 5 seconds of Google based research said was from some x-teenth century OG brew style...

I pitched white labs wlp630 (lacto blend) in said witches brew. It's been about a month. Maybe 6 weeks.

Haven't worked with lacto before and have never watched a pelicle grow. I've also never had a batch go mouldy: I don't shit in my own backyard, so to speak. Or when I do (judge not least ye be something something) I make damn sure to star-san my hands. Not to say I'm perfect but my gut tells me my sanitarion routine is up to snuff in this batch and I'm confident I pasteurized well at 98C for 20 mins despite no boil.

Anyway. What does these pics look like to the knowledgeable hive mind of the otherwise more informed and insightful?

Taste is fine. It's very light and thin as I'd direct for the style. Not getting any pronounced sourbess or tartness. I did late addition citra and eukonaught for lemon/tripicalishness. Ph is 4.4ish (shooting for under 4 but no clue how long that will take or how to accelerate.

It's plenty drinkable now just not sure if two things :
1) if it's a lacto pelicle - cool? How long do I wait before dosing this with lactic acid, some fresh yeast and sticking it in a bottle?

2) what are the symptoms of botulism poisoning and does it cuase a lotof typosd wheb tryingto problemn solvbe?

Cheers
20190503_190401.jpg
20190503_190424.jpg
20190503_190436.jpg
20190503_190408.jpg
20190501_203456.jpg
20190501_203631.jpg
Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Re: Lacto Pelicle or mould?

Post by wcturnedec » Sat May 04, 2019 7:05 am

That does looks like a pellicle and Lacto can form one, never experienced that in my Berliners but I kettle sour and do a short boil before pitch my yeast.

As for sourness, I’ve heard those white lab blends can take months to develop any level of tartness, most likely due to the lower temps recommended by White Labs as Lacto prefers it a little warmer (80+F depending Lacto strain).

I’d say tuck it away for a few months and forget about it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

ScotianHobo

Post by ScotianHobo » Tue May 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Tucking it away for a few months is going to be hard but glad it's not obviously ruined (yet...).

And here I thought I was giving plenty of time to kick off patio season on may-24 with my first summer brew of the year. Sigh. Live n learn.

NickToole
Name: Nicholas Toole

Post by NickToole » Fri May 10, 2019 2:04 pm

If you try this again save the hop additions until after the lacto has done its job. Beta acids and some other compounds depending on the hops will inhibit the lactos ability to produce the lactic acid you are looking for!

ScotianHobo

Post by ScotianHobo » Sat May 11, 2019 7:16 am

NickToole wrote:If you try this again save the hop additions until after the lacto has done its job. Beta acids and some other compounds depending on the hops will inhibit the lactos ability to produce the lactic acid you are looking for!
Yeah that's something I noodled with and knew about "in theory', but I hoped I could get away with a late addition shooting for 10ibu's and not have to worry. Good learning experience all around I guess.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Sat May 11, 2019 3:34 pm

ScotianHobo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 pm
2) what are the symptoms of botulism poisoning and does it cuase a lotof typosd wheb tryingto problemn solvbe?
I believe you're suffering from exposure to alcohol. It's an occupational hazard to be avoided when brewing.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

ScotianHobo

Post by ScotianHobo » Wed May 29, 2019 12:53 pm

So this batch is still going. It's still not registering a ph lower than 4.6 on my strip but I have little faith in their accuracy. There's a slight tsrtness starting to come through. Not quite where I want it to be for the style but I'm happy to wait it out this being my first lacto brew and all.
Question I have now is about the pelicle itself. It's started to collapse a bit. Can I expect it to totally fall away? Should I be waiting for that? Will cold crashing drop it? Do I care?
Any expertise and learned wisdow is helpful :)

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:02 pm

what did you pitch for yeast?

ScotianHobo

Post by ScotianHobo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:49 pm

https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wl ... isse-blend

For any number of reasons it's still in the big bottle and not in the little ones.

Thoughts?

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”