Electric keg kettle build help

A spot to talk general homebrew
jabbrro
Name: John

Electric keg kettle build help

Post by jabbrro » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:25 pm

:mebeer: I have done 3 all grain beer BIAB this summer, outside on a propane burner. Obviously I can't do this inside. So looking to use a 50l keg for a kettle. Was looking at 240v but this seems like a lot of work and money. I was hoping to just use 2 1500w elements to get strike water, and a sous vide for the mash (which worked well brewing outside) and get a good boil. The other thing is how to control the temperatures of the elements. Will a inexpensive off the shelf temperature conttoller work. Oh and I have 2 wall plugs in brew room on different breakers too. Any help appreciated.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: Electric keg kettle build help

Post by LiverDance » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:46 am

I have a setup that may work for you

10 Gallon Kettle from OBK.(tri clad) Ball valve with quick disconnect and 2" TC weldless bulkhead and 2" Heating element fitting. Includes : pump, silicone tubing with quick disconnects and Stainless Tee with Temp sensor and control panel with PID and switches for pump and element.

Element is 1500 Watt element and can be used in conjunction with an induction burner for 5 gallon batches with a mash tun or BIAB for your 3 Gallon batch size. Would also be able to handle making kettle sours as well. $300

Panel 2.jpg
Panel 1.jpg
Kettle 4.jpg
Kettle 3.jpg
Kettle 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

jabbrro

Post by jabbrro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I have the kettle and the elements and the weld less bulkheads. Was more or less wondering if there is a cheap priced controller that would work with my setup.

Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Post by Peterpasha » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:08 pm

Have you heard of The Electric Brewery? He's got step by step instructions for building your own temperature controller.

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:53 pm

jabbrro wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:25 pm
:mebeer: I have done 3 all grain beer BIAB this summer, outside on a propane burner. Obviously I can't do this inside. So looking to use a 50l keg for a kettle. Was looking at 240v but this seems like a lot of work and money. I was hoping to just use 2 1500w elements to get strike water, and a sous vide for the mash (which worked well brewing outside) and get a good boil. The other thing is how to control the temperatures of the elements. Will a inexpensive off the shelf temperature conttoller work. Oh and I have 2 wall plugs in brew room on different breakers too. Any help appreciated.
I'll have a 240V controller (no temp control or PID) that I will be parting with in the next month or so if interested in still going that route.

joe_r_harvie
Name: Joe Harvie

Post by joe_r_harvie » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:56 pm

Hope these pictures help. I use 2 x 1500 watt elements in both my hot water tank and my boil kettle. I get a good rolling boil without using temperature controls. I have to run two separate plugs as one plug would trip if I didn't. It takes about 30 minutes to get my wort boiling. I have used this setup for several years and have had no issues.
Primary -
Secondary -
On tap - Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Best Bitter, Blonde, Best Bitter, Premium Bitter, IPA

jabbrro

Post by jabbrro » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Ok cool. I am going with 2 1500w elements for now but am building a temp control as well. The hard part was finding a weldless bulkhead. I went a route with 1.5 TC compression fitting which clamps onto the enclosed universal element coupler.

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steffen Rosswog

Post by RossBee » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Clawhammersupply.com
Why brew beer I can buy?

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”