Starsan to kill Coronavirus

A spot to talk general homebrew
oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Starsan to kill Coronavirus

Post by oceanic_brew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:05 am

I’ve been doing some reading over the last few days and the majority of it points towards starsan not being effective in killing viruses until a contact time of 5 minutes.

I just read a comment from the manufacturer of starsan that says it is effective however there’s some people online taking a pretty hard stance against that.

I’ve reached out to my chem supplier I’m using on the commercial side to get his opinion.

I’ll update here with info. However, unless someone else has some hard facts I would refrain from using it for anything else but Belgian triples and send me a case god dammit!

Take care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Re: Starsan to kill Coronavirus

Post by oceanic_brew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:11 am

“Hi Glen,

Star San is an acid sanitizer, primarily phosphoric acid.

I have conducted some research and I cannot see any kill claim for virus.

It is an oxidizer sanitation product so it works by breaking down the cell wall of the microbe.

Using a product like Star San in the home environment would probably do more harm than good.

So this is what I suggest.

Your best method to address any Covid 19 contamination issues is a thorough cleaning procedure. The rule of thumb is : “You cannot sanitize dirt!” So a thorough cleaning procedure using a standard household cleaner disinfectant product on hard surfaces will reduce any microbe load by more than +95%.

If you wanted to then sanitize that surface you could then apply an alcohol spray or a bleach solution. Be aware that products like bleach can damage surfaces such a wood, paint and other surfaces.

The best practices to address this pandemic are:

- Wash Your Hand, Wash Your Hands, Wash Your Hands
- Sneeze/cough into you elbow or a tissue.
- Stay home. Stay calm.
- Be aware of the various contact/cross contamination points that should be addressed with you cleaning procedure. Hand rails, door knobs, faucets, toilets, car steering wheels, laptops keyboards, cell phones.

Here is a link created by our company in relation to Corvid 19. Some good information here. Copy and paste into your search engine. http://www.sanimarc.com/covid-19/

“Also make Belgian triples for Glen”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Re: Starsan to kill Coronavirus

Post by mdentremont » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:26 am

I'd also like to add - overzealous amounts of disinfectant wipes & sprays don't hurt, as long as you're not buying a ton and preventing other from getting access to them. Luckily we had a costco 4 pack at home, and I found some spray cans while cleaning the basement a few days ago.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”