Brewnosers brewing competition

A spot to talk general homebrew
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Brewnosers brewing competition

Post by mr x » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:49 pm

I was thinking out loud at the Christmas party about having a brewing comp for us BNer's, but a little different that the normal BJCP stuff.

I was thinking about a beer brewed with 30% adjunct (sugar, corn, rice, Shredded Wheat, etc.). 30% anything but barley or other 'brewing grains' such as rye, flaked wheat/barley, etc. And no belgian yeast, as I'm sure many of us have seen triples brewed with 30% sugar. I was also thinking about keeping the OG under 1.050. Basically, take macro beer mentality and make a better beer out of it.

One other option I was discussing with Nash was for him to brew a beer, and us to try to clone it.

Let me know what you guys think. :pow:
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Re: Brewnosers brewing competition

Post by derek » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 pm

mr x wrote:I was thinking out loud at the Christmas party about having a brewing comp for us BNer's, but a little different that the normal BJCP stuff.

I was thinking about a beer brewed with 30% adjunct (sugar, corn, rice, Shredded Wheat, etc.). 30% anything but barley or other 'brewing grains' such as rye, flaked wheat/barley, etc. And no belgian yeast, as I'm sure many of us have seen triples brewed with 30% sugar. I was also thinking about keeping the OG under 1.050. Basically, take macro beer mentality and make a better beer out of it.
I don't know. I like the basic idea, but who's going to drink it when I'm done? You guys have better taste, and most of the other people I know don't drink (I _still_ don't get that). otoh, I always have lots of shredded wheat...

Seriously, I'm still new to this game, so what do you use that's not "adjunct" and not "brewing grain"?
mr x wrote: One other option I was discussing with Nash was for him to brew a beer, and us to try to clone it.

Let me know what you guys think. :pow:
Well, I know I'm not personally up to that competition - but I _do_ have a secret weapon...
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm game.

Potato Chicha here I come :mmm:

OK, now we need a puking smiley.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:42 am

derek wrote:Seriously, I'm still new to this game, so what do you use that's not "adjunct" and not "brewing grain"?
The idea is to use an adjunct of some sort, but not a normal brewing grain (some people call unmalted grains adjuncts, but I don't consider them in that way for this competition). What I am talking about are ingredients from the usual to off the wall. Cereals are one option (yes, shredded wheat does work):
You can still make a good beer with 30% adjunct. For instance, I made a Labatt's Blue clone (1/3 flaked corn), but changed the yeast to California Lager, and it made a pretty good beer. So all that's really required is a bit of imagination.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:26 am

So, is that the only rule? 30% non-brewing adjuncts and no Belgian yeast.
:pow:
I have a couple ideas, but it might be the wrong time of year...
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:55 am

That's the idea. And a mid to low OG, no more than 1.050.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:10 pm

mr x wrote:
derek wrote:Seriously, I'm still new to this game, so what do you use that's not "adjunct" and not "brewing grain"?
The idea is to use an adjunct of some sort, but not a normal brewing grain (some people call unmalted grains adjuncts, but I don't consider them in that way for this competition). What I am talking about are ingredients from the usual to off the wall.
Ah, OK. You said 30% adjunct, then in the next sentence, "30% anything but barley or other 'brewing grains'". I took that to be two different 30%s rather than the second sentence just clarifying the first. :oops: If they'd added up to more than 100% I might have clued in. :idea:
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 pm

mr x wrote:That's the idea. And a mid to low OG, no more than 1.050.
I can probably have something ready for Feb. I plan to go foraging for my secret ingredient this weekend and maybe brew between xmas and new year's (or new year's weekend).
Andy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:14 pm

Maybe there isn't enough interest in this. Especially now that Garrison's competition has come out. Fuck it, I'm brewing mine anyway, lol.

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Post by Tim Gregory » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:16 pm

I might do a small batch just for fun. But it won't be til after Christmas.

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:20 pm

mr x wrote:Maybe there isn't enough interest in this. Especially now that Garrison's competition has come out. Fuck it, I'm brewing mine anyway, lol.
Well, I'm pretty sure I'm still gonna try what I had planned too...

Why does Garrison keep moving their competition earlier and earlier? And its a lager, so they're not really giving us more time :x
Andy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Yeah, that's the way they brew I guess.

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:50 pm

Corn Flakes eh?

I'm gonna try using cattail tubers. They're edible and supposed to be very similar to potatoes.

No, I've never tried potato beer either.
Andy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:50 pm

That's freaky. :cheers:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:09 pm

mr x wrote:That's freaky. :cheers:
Thanks, that's what I was going for - I live in on the edge of a tidal marsh after all - or maybe I watch too much 'Survivorman.'

I've eaten the green shoots (in the spring) before, but never the tuber.
Andy

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Anyone besides X brew this beer yet? I've got a couple of ideas for beers, and hope to brew them later in the month. This weekend will be spent brewing for the Garrison Comp.
We need a solid date for the tasting, so we can all plan/aim for it. Maybe the March Brewnoser's meeting?

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Post by Tim Gregory » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:48 pm

That sounds good to me. I can probably whip something up in the next few weeks and have it ready for March.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”