Page 1 of 1

CO2 tank - High Pressure Gauge Leak

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:24 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
Hey all,

My co2 tank fell over at one pooint, and the high pressure gauge is damaged. still works, but the little labelled disc inside is bent between 0 and 400 psi, so no accurate readings in there - which doesnt matter at all.
actual issue: CO2 is leaking out where that gauge screws into the regulator. What should i do?

my thoughts are either remove, wrap with teflon tape, reinstall; or remove and replace with a plug.

also: which way do i twist it to remove it? it is very tight and i don't want to break it. it is labelled "left hand", which is i assume the opposite of a normal righty-tighty thread?

Re: CO2 tank - High Pressure Gauge Leak

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:31 am
by mr x
That sounds like a reverse threaded gauge. You should be able to see some threads to tell which way it goes. They are generally very tight due to use of thread-locker, so you might need a vise to keep it steady while you crank on it. I'd replace it, but I don't think left-hand threaded plugs are easy to find, so you are probably back to the gauge.

Re: CO2 tank - High Pressure Gauge Leak

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:37 am
by Tony L
I would replace it, even though it really don't suit any purpose. The guage will show full right up to the point where you only have very little left in the tank.
Still, it would be just as hard to find a left hand threaded plug as a left hand guage.
Try your local refrigeration company, a place like this http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Nova-Scot ... 51929.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that services commercial equipment.
My local refrigeration place fixes up coke and pepsi equipment and so, have a few of everything CO2 related guages, tanks, regulators etc.

Re: CO2 tank - High Pressure Gauge Leak

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:28 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
even though I knew it was left hand thread, I still twisted the wrong way when trying to take it off. managed to tighten it a half turn. the high pressure gauge still read full 15 mins after turning the tank off, I'm leaving for a few hours and if it's still reading full when I get back, I will consider the problem solved :cheers3:

Re: CO2 tank - High Pressure Gauge Leak

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:30 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
3 hours later, still at pressure... problem solved.

Re: CO2 tank - High Pressure Gauge Leak

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:36 pm
by ratchet
If your gauge has nptf (dryseal) threads, then it doesn't need tape anyway.