On-Site Water Options

A spot to talk general homebrew
JayColli
Name: Jay Colli

On-Site Water Options

Post by JayColli » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:53 pm

Hey Folks,

For those of us on wells, what’s everyone using for brewing water? RO, distilled, Big 8, local spring?

I’ll try out my well water eventually (hard, lotsa gypsum around) and see what styles it fits but I’m looking for some direction on where to go with my first BIAB - Black IPA. I’d like to try using water from my local spring (Ardoise) but I figure that’ll be nearly as hard as my own water.

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Re: On-Site Water Options

Post by McGruff » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:37 am

I cut mine 50/50 RO/Well for stouts etc. I cut it 75/25 RO/well for pale beers. I was using all RO with water salts for pale beers, but they just never tasted as good as when I simply cut them. I do use 2% acid malt in all recipes. This may not be for everyone because all of brewers go with brewing salts and all RO water.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:43 am

Did you know what the water profile is you're starting with?
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:34 am

I'm on a well in middle sackville and we had the water tested when we moved it. It was a bit high in alkalinity but otherwise low in other stuff. Its great for malty/dark brews. For lighter styles I sometimes get RO water but I normally just use it straight and add phosphoric acid for pH adjustment.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:48 am

McGruff wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:37 am
I cut mine 50/50 RO/Well for stouts etc. I cut it 75/25 RO/well for pale beers. I was using all RO with water salts for pale beers, but they just never tasted as good as when I simply cut them. I do use 2% acid malt in all recipes. This may not be for everyone because all of brewers go with brewing salts and all RO water.
Drilled well or dug? Mine is dug so the water isn’t as hard as drilled wells nearby but there is more variation in the quality of the water throughout the year.

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:30 am

we are on a well...so we use 100% RO water (Canadian Tire), and just build the profile to the style
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:35 am

My darker beers were always better, so I assume that my water is somewhat hard. I’ll just use a bit of acid malt for anything pale, it works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:59 pm

KB1138 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:43 am
Did you know what the water profile is you're starting with?
Hardness: 18 GPG
Total Iron: 0.03 mg/L
Manganese: 0.045 mg/L
PH: 7.1

TDS: 278 ppm

Those numbers came from Evolution Water when they did a test prior to having a water softener installed.

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:18 pm

amartin wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:35 am
My darker beers were always better, so I assume that my water is somewhat hard. I’ll just use a bit of acid malt for anything pale, it works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Around 5%? I thought I had seen that estimated somewhere else online. I like mostly dark beers but a Kveik lager is on the roster for sometime this winter for me.

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:19 pm

jacinthebox wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:30 am
we are on a well...so we use 100% RO water (Canadian Tire), and just build the profile to the style
Luckily I have RO on tap so it’s nbd for me to use that. I’ll have to do some googling for a beer water calc.

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:54 am

JayColli wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:19 pm
jacinthebox wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:30 am
Luckily I have RO on tap so it’s nbd for me to use that. I’ll have to do some googling for a beer water calc.
For most of our brews, we only adjust with Calc Chloride, Calc Sulfate & Phosphoric acid.
5g of calc chloride & 5g of calc sulfate per 5gal mash water is a good starting point for balanced beer. and acid to adjust ph.

We use Brewersfriend mash water chem calculator ...
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:10 pm

For most of our brews, we only adjust with Calc Chloride, Calc Sulfate & Phosphoric acid.
5g of calc chloride & 5g of calc sulfate per 5gal mash water is a good starting point for balanced beer. and acid to adjust ph.

We use Brewersfriend mash water chem calculator ...
Thanks Jac. I’ll check that calc out.

joe_r_harvie
Name: Joe Harvie

Post by joe_r_harvie » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:31 pm

I had my drilled well water analyzed several years ago and I just add the minerals I need to bring my water to the level I need for the style. For a pilsner my water is fine as is but for my bitters I add a few minerals.
Primary - Porter, Standard Bitter
Secondary -
On tap - Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Blonde, Best Bitter, Premium Bitter, IPA

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:14 pm

joe_r_harvie wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:31 pm
I had my drilled well water analyzed several years ago and I just add the minerals I need to bring my water to the level I need for the style. For a pilsner my water is fine as is but for my bitters I add a few minerals.
How in-depth was your analysis? Who did it?

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:25 am

I'm about 15 or 20 min to the Ardoise well, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the person who has the well needs to get water testing, and if you could figure out who it is, they might share the info from the well. Here's the $160ish dollar solution from NS Health Authority with what you could expect on a water test. This is basically the straight water test from our well before adding the RO to clear up the Lead and Arsenic (I want to do another soon to see if the Lead or Arsenic was just erroneous, but I'm suspecting not since we are near an old gold mine...).

Basically you just go to the Cobequid medical centre and get a vial for testing and return it to them with what you want tested. The NS Health website shows a few of the prices, but I believe it is a bit more detailed when you get the sheet from them and you might be able to get just the variables for brewing a bit cheaper than the full test.

Cheers!

Edit - I just attached the photos instead of linking them.ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by JamesM80 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:21 pm

JamesM80 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:25 am
I'm about 15 or 20 min to the Ardoise well, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the person who has the well needs to get water testing, and if you could figure out who it is, they might share the info from the well. Here's the $160ish dollar solution from NS Health Authority with what you could expect on a water test. This is basically the straight water test from our well before adding the RO to clear up the Lead and Arsenic (I want to do another soon to see if the Lead or Arsenic was just erroneous, but I'm suspecting not since we are near an old gold mine...).

Basically you just go to the Cobequid medical centre and get a vial for testing and return it to them with what you want tested. The NS Health website shows a few of the prices, but I believe it is a bit more detailed when you get the sheet from them and you might be able to get just the variables for brewing a bit cheaper than the full test.

Cheers!
Pictures aren't working for me unfortunately but the info is useful - thanks! IIRC the Ardoise well owner charges folks now to cover the cost of testing and gov-mandated facilities for filling so I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to get. I'm only 10 mins away myself so I ought to know someone that can tell me who owns it. Buying the water from Sobeys costs about as much as the grains for a 5% beer so there's a bit of money to be saved if I went to Ardoise.

joe_r_harvie
Name: Joe Harvie

Post by joe_r_harvie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:00 pm

JayColli wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:14 pm
joe_r_harvie wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:31 pm
How in-depth was your analysis? Who did it?
It was done by dept of agriculture, 176 college road in Truro in 2011. The measured PH, nitrate, conductance, alkalinity, total hardness, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, sodium, sulfate, zinc and potassium. I took a sample of my water in a sterile jar. It costed around $40 i think.
Primary - Porter, Standard Bitter
Secondary -
On tap - Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Blonde, Best Bitter, Premium Bitter, IPA

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”