Propane vs Electric Cooktop

A spot to talk general homebrew
rocketfuel

Propane vs Electric Cooktop

Post by rocketfuel » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi There, Input wanted! I currently use a propane burner to brew/distill and it seems to take forever to get a double batch up to temperature and I'm always wondering if I have enough propane in the tank to finish the job. Thinking about switching to an electric cook top, any suggestions/advice?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: Propane vs Electric Cooktop

Post by GAM » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:14 pm

Cooktop may be a challenge. An emersion element is what most electrical folks are using.

Sandy

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:32 pm

I've done 20l batches on the stove top before, I actually did it for a few years. Splitting the pot over two burners is the key, but even then it was slow. I doubt you'd be able to do a double batch that way
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Camdrumr
Name: Cameron Beare

Post by Camdrumr » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Love my propane. Went the turkey fryer route.

rocketfuel

Post by rocketfuel » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:07 am

Does the turkey fryer bring 20 liters up to a boil in a decent time?

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:46 am

I've used a turkey fryer burner for years. Takes about 30 mins to get around 50L to boiling from mash temp. I thinks its about 58,000 Btu. The only reason I switched to electric is weather convenience; I still use the propane setup for an occasional single batch brew in a bag.

Gas fired is all about BTU and heat transfer. Ideally you want the pot close enough to the burner to limit heat losses without smothering the flame. A Shield around the burner can also help direct the heat to limit losses to the sides.

The Bayou classic is a prime example:
KAB4-2T.jpg
With that, I do have an unused KAB6 banjo burner rated at 210,000 btu heat output, (burner only, no stand) that I will sell for $50.

OBK sells for$80
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Bayou_C ... /bg-14.htm

I previously had a two burner setup with these bad boys and man does it throw a ton of heat. The only issues I had was freezing up the propane tank and regulator when running two for the sake of so much gas flow, and that was no where near max capacity on the output.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

rocketfuel

Post by rocketfuel » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:45 am

Thank you so much for this information, 50L to a boil in 30 minutes is awesome performance and just what I'm looking for. My current propane burner has no shielding and seems hugely inefficient. Many, many thanks.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”