Unitank vs Brite Tank... or something else all together?

A spot to talk general homebrew
Peyts
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Larry Peyton

Unitank vs Brite Tank... or something else all together?

Post by Peyts » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Merry Christmas, everyone!

My beautiful wife surprised me with a SS Brewtech 14 gal. Unitank. WOW!

The question, though... is this right for me, or should I be considering something else?

To start, let me share my current set up:
  • GrainFather G30
    GrandFather Sparge Kettle
    SS Brewtech BME Conical FV
    Several carboys
    Sanke Kegs
    Blichmann Beer Gun
    Monster Grain Mill
    Et al.
I use my Conical FV especially for NEIPAs, or anything else that I have to strictly limit oxygenation. Otherwise, my carboys are fine.

I am quite particular about producing the absolute best beer I can... so I am always looking to improve.

Is the unitank the best next step forward? Or how about a brite tank instead? I like the idea of a glycol chiller, but I really don't do enough lagering to justify it.

I'm interested in the thoughts of others in this group with more experience.

Truly appreciate the input.

Cheers!
Me Brewing: Missing Three Brewing
Me Reviewing: craft_beer_with_me

Instagram & Facebook

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Unitank vs Brite Tank... or something else all together?

Post by ConanTroutman » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:52 pm

First of all, hot damn that's one hell of a christmas present :lol:

I think a lot of it will come down to your preference of whether it's worth it. It will definitely be bigger than necessary obviously if you're only doing 5-6gal batches, so you'll be leaving a lot of empty headspace unless you either start double batching or upgrade your system. Depending on the cooling system, that empty headspace could affect cooling efficiency depending on where the jacket/coil are located, not familiar with those units so you might have a better idea of what you're working with there.

As for brite vs unitank etc, on a homebrew scale I wouldn't personally bother with a brite tank. I think most homebrewers are going to get the most benefit out of either a stainless conical like the one you have, or a unitank. That said, I probably would only recommend the unitank if you're planning on using a glycol unit with it.

Disclaimer: I've not used one of these units so there may be others here that own one or have experience with similar setups

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:11 pm

I'm not sure if either are really what you need based on what you've described here. Glycol chillers are great for any fermentation, not just lagers, so is that an area you need to improve in your system as it stands? What are you doing for temp control right now? The other question is one of head space as Geoff brought up. Are you going to be filling a 14 gallon fermentor with a 5 gallon GF?
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Peyts
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Peyts » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:58 pm

ConanTroutman wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:52 pm
First of all, hot damn that's one hell of a christmas present :lol:

I think a lot of it will come down to your preference of whether it's worth it. It will definitely be bigger than necessary obviously if you're only doing 5-6gal batches, so you'll be leaving a lot of empty headspace unless you either start double batching or upgrade your system. Depending on the cooling system, that empty headspace could affect cooling efficiency depending on where the jacket/coil are located, not familiar with those units so you might have a better idea of what you're working with there.

As for brite vs unitank etc, on a homebrew scale I wouldn't personally bother with a brite tank. I think most homebrewers are going to get the most benefit out of either a stainless conical like the one you have, or a unitank. That said, I probably would only recommend the unitank if you're planning on using a glycol unit with it.

Disclaimer: I've not used one of these units so there may be others here that own one or have experience with similar setups
Thanks a million for the input; truly appreciated.

I never even considered the amount of CO2 I'd be wasting on the dead head space in the Unitank. I was originally quite happy my wife got me the 14 gallon as I figured it would allow double-batches (which would admittedly not be a common practice), and that is also gave me the room to expand at a later date.

That said, I'd be throwing cash away on CO2... as well as it being a pain in the ass to keep exchanging 5 lbs. tanks.

Wondering now on exchanging/returning for another SS Brewtech conical FV and a 10 gal BBT, which would be about the same price as the 14 gal Unitank.

Instagram & Facebook

Peyts
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Peyts » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:11 pm

KB1138 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:11 pm
I'm not sure if either are really what you need based on what you've described here. Glycol chillers are great for any fermentation, not just lagers, so is that an area you need to improve in your system as it stands? What are you doing for temp control right now? The other question is one of head space as Geoff brought up. Are you going to be filling a 14 gallon fermentor with a 5 gallon GF?
To start: Merry Christmas, Kevin!

You know my house setup, so you can understand there are several things to take into consideration.

I store my brewing gear down stairs, however I pull it all upstairs on brew days... that way I am either on the patio (when it's nice outside) or in the kitchen. I transfer the wort to the FV, bring it back downstairs and start the fermentation process. Then clean and, once again, return everything downstairs.

One issue is that when the GrainFather is full of wort, there is no way that I can lift it to cart it downstairs. However, since the Unitank has no handles, if I transfer the wort from the GrainFather to the Unitank while upstairs, then there is no way I can get the Unitank downstairs. So... leaves me to consider brewing downstairs, which at this point is just not a solid option.

I like the idea of a glycol chiller... issue is that it would only work on the one FV I have, since everything else is fermented in carboys, which I place in a second fridge for cold-crashing (the SS Brewtech FV will not fit in the fridge). So as much as I see benefit, I also see a CHUNK of coin going into someone that I can only partially use. Further, with the FV, I can do closed transfers to a keg and then I'll use that to cold-crash.

I do quite like the idea of being able to carbonate a beer with more expediency, and consistency, than force-carbing in a Sanke keg via my kegerator. Hence the somewhat fascination with a Unitank and/or BBT.

So I am considering another 7gal FV and a 10gal BBT, which would be about the same cost as the single Unitank.

Or I can also just buy the FV, and save the coin for a glycol chiller, as I would at least then have two FVs I can use it on.

Thoughts?

Instagram & Facebook

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User

Post by KB1138 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Is the garage an option for brewing? That might eliminate some of the issues of transferring heavy object up and down stairs. Based on what you've described there, your last option sounds like the best idea to me.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:44 pm

May or may not be practical for you but I've talked to a few people that pump or gravity feed to the basement but that's going to vary a lot how your house is laid out if that makes sense to do.

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Grainfather conical? Seems like an ok setup other than small lines for dumping trub. The $1,000ish pricetag does seem high but it is insulated and has heating and the built in cooling sleeve. The only problem is that not online reviews seem to be by sponsored folk.

I also like the idea of pumping from the garage to basement. In my case I think I could put a line from the garage to the mechanical room, then just have 20 or so feet of line to the fermentation area.

Hopefully this wasn't a thread hijack, just interested to see the high end options for the Grainfather sized batches. I'd love an SS 7 Gal Unitank!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

Peyts
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Peyts » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:37 am

JamesM80 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:06 pm
Does anyone have experience with the Grainfather conical? Seems like an ok setup other than small lines for dumping trub. The $1,000ish pricetag does seem high but it is insulated and has heating and the built in cooling sleeve. The only problem is that not online reviews seem to be by sponsored folk.

I also like the idea of pumping from the garage to basement. In my case I think I could put a line from the garage to the mechanical room, then just have 20 or so feet of line to the fermentation area.

Hopefully this wasn't a thread hijack, just interested to see the high end options for the Grainfather sized batches. I'd love an SS 7 Gal Unitank!

I originally had the GrainFather FV. However, after 24 hours, I returned it for the SS Brewtech BME conical.

Here's what I did not like about the GrainFather FV:
  • The legs are plastic, which means they could crack.
  • The trub dump valve is fairly small, which I felt would frequently become stogged.
  • The display on the front, used to control temperature settings, is not water-resistent. When I did the initial cleaning, prior to planned use, I saw that some water got caught behind the display screen. I had to place the display in a bag of rice in attempt to soak up the liquid. A couple days later, when I removed the display, I noted that rice got inside of it. THE HOLES ARE THAT BIG! Obviously it would never be water resistant, which is sorta important when wort could be sloshed, a fermentation could overflow, etc.
  • The very look of it. May be a shit point, but I just hated the very way it looked. To me, its appearance was toy-ish, cheapish.
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of my G30 system and HLT, both of which are GrainFather. But I was completely disappointed with their FV.

The SS Brewtech BME is a bit more expensive, for sure... but when the FTSs2 kit is added (allowing chilling and heating), it gives you full control of your fermentation, all is a vessel that is hearty and more professional. It just feels right... because it is right. My opinion, anyway.

Plus, with the added CIP, the unit does most of its own cleaning.

Good luck with your decision.

Instagram & Facebook

Peyts
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Peyts » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:39 am

ConanTroutman wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:44 pm
May or may not be practical for you but I've talked to a few people that pump or gravity feed to the basement but that's going to vary a lot how your house is laid out if that makes sense to do.
Solid idea for sure... unfortunately would not work for me, unless I drilled holes and made my house look like a grow op.

LOL!

Instagram & Facebook

Peyts
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Peyts » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:44 pm

KB1138 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:38 pm
Is the garage an option for brewing? That might eliminate some of the issues of transferring heavy object up and down stairs. Based on what you've described there, your last option sounds like the best idea to me.
The garage could be an option, though it would take quite a bit of work to setup. The concern I have is some fuel fuel tanks being in the garage, with some of the odour seeping into the lines or other pieces.

Just checked out a glycol chiller... quite the costly investment. Would certainly give me some benefits when it comes to cold crashing, and, if I keep the Unitank, the carbonation. But damn... at $1500 for the 1/3 hp version (plus taxes & glycol), it gets pricey. Wondering as well how often I would have to buy new containers of glycol ($45-$50 each).

Do many home brewers use glycol chillers?

Instagram & Facebook

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:24 pm

Definitely not a lot, there are a lot of projects out there for building glycol chillers out of air conditioners which would definitely be cheaper but that does put you into DIY territory.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User

Post by KB1138 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:17 pm

I use a mini fridge myself for temp control. I know you can find used chest freezers on kijiji for a lot less than the cost of glycol chiller

Peyts
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Peyts » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:12 pm

ConanTroutman wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:24 pm
Definitely not a lot, there are a lot of projects out there for building glycol chillers out of air conditioners which would definitely be cheaper but that does put you into DIY territory.
Yeah... I'm all about that kinda thing. My wife... she basically says for me to stop half-assing it and trying to jerry rig shit. Hence: go buy the damn right piece of equipment.

LOL

Instagram & Facebook

Peyts
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Peyts » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:16 pm

KB1138 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:17 pm
I use a mini fridge myself for temp control. I know you can find used chest freezers on kijiji for a lot less than the cost of glycol chiller
I was looking at those options as well. But thinking it'd be tough to fit my SS Brewtech BME 7gal conical into a chest freezer... and if so, certainly would not fit a Unitank due to even just trying to pick it up and place it in there.

Thanks for your input and options, brother. Thinking it's likely gonna need to be glycol... better start saving the $$$.

Instagram & Facebook

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User

Post by KB1138 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:21 pm

Peyts wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:12 pm
ConanTroutman wrote:
Yeah... I'm all about that kinda thing. My wife... she basically says for me to stop half-assing it and trying to jerry rig shit. Hence: go buy the damn right piece of equipment.

LOL
Homebrewing is not the right hobby if she doesn't like diy

Peyts
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Peyts » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:27 pm

KB1138 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:21 pm
Peyts wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:12 pm
ConanTroutman wrote:

LOL
Homebrewing is not the right hobby if she doesn't like diy
Nah, she is more on the supportive side... she would just rather me be happy (or at least content), and have what I need to do the job properly.

I'm unfortunately the kind of person who is 100% in... or 0%. There isn't much in between when it comes to me.

Instagram & Facebook

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User

Post by KB1138 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Yeah, I was joking about that.

Peyts
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Peyts » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:08 pm

KB1138 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:39 pm
Yeah, I was joking about that.
:cheers2:

Instagram & Facebook

Peyts
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Peyts » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:33 pm

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Finally made the call today.

Returning the 14 gal Unitank.

Placing an order for the 7 gal SS Brewtech Unitank.

And buying a 1/3hp SS Brewtech glycol chiller.

This should help advance my system so that I can improve my brewing, as well as push some new boundaries for myself.

Cheers!

Instagram & Facebook

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:01 pm

Congrats, that looks like a great setup! Definitely looking forward to a review of the setup after you've put through a few batches!

I was really contemplating something like that but will for now be just grabbing a beer bucket and working on eating way too much old freezer food to try to clear it up for fermenting. In other news, my poorly packaged year old fresh hops have given everything in the freezer a smooth cascade/centennial flavour!

Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

Peyts
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Peyts » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:46 pm

JamesM80 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:01 pm
Congrats, that looks like a great setup! Definitely looking forward to a review of the setup after you've put through a few batches!

I was really contemplating something like that but will for now be just grabbing a beer bucket and working on eating way too much old freezer food to try to clear it up for fermenting. In other news, my poorly packaged year old fresh hops have given everything in the freezer a smooth cascade/centennial flavour!

Thanks, James! I'll certainly let everyone know what I think of the glycol chiller and unitank.

I quite love SS Brewtech BME conical fermenter... it produces some fantastic brews, though it is a pain in the ass to clean, even with the CIP, when compared to a carboy. However, the pressure, closed transfers keep any oxygenation to an absolute minimum, which is imperative for an NEIPA.

Meantime, if your freezer smells like cascade & centennial, then it smells a lot better than mine! :lol:

Instagram & Facebook

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”