Is it safe

A spot to talk general homebrew
GregA
Name: Greg Agnew

Is it safe

Post by GregA » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Hi. I apologize if this is not in right place. Looked at mead discussions and did not seem to be timely interaction
I made a 1 gallon batch orange cinnamon mead in late February and forgot All about till now.
It has raisins cinnamon stick and a full orange in it. The yeast used was simple bread yeast ( it was called ancient orange mead and that is all they would have had then)?
My question: is it safe to bottle and drink. Not looking to bottle condition just still mead. Any reply gratefully accepted.

BrewMachine
Name: Joel Richard

Re: Is it safe

Post by BrewMachine » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Did you see it ferment? How does it taste and smell? Normally mead can last a really long time but I think it will depend on your recipe. From my reading, mead requires some hands on fermentation management. Measuring PH and providing nutrients for fermentation. I'm not sure of what the consequences of not doing so would be. It's been a while since I have read "the complete mean maker" by Schramm (I recommend). If it smells good and tastes good. . . It's probably fine. Look out for harsh flavors and smells.

Sent from my M13 using Tapatalk

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:33 pm

If there's signs that fermentation happened, i.e. a layer of yeast at the bottom and/or remains of krausen around the neck, and the airlock has not gone dry then you should be fine.
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

GregA
Name: Greg Agnew

Post by GregA » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Thanks for reply. It definitely fermented. Being as it was a non alcoholic yeast it bubbled away for couple months. There is definitely a layer of yeast on bottom. Going to give the buff and taste tomorrow. Thanks all

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”