220V Grainfather Brewing Session Electrical Use

A spot to talk general homebrew
JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

220V Grainfather Brewing Session Electrical Use

Post by JamesM80 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:45 pm

Just thought I'd share this information in case anyone was wondering the electrical costs to do a brew. Turns out, it isn't really that much. I have some usage monitors installed at home and did a few brews the other day. All brews were fairly low grain loads (8, 9 and 5 lbs). 12.7 kw for all three which makes a whopping $2.00 in electricity.

Attached are the details of the electrical use, all boils were 60 min with 10 min mash out (one brew early in the day and then the other two from 6pm to 2am). The first one set the strike water from around 13 to 65 deg C, the second two I used hot water to start so it didn't have to increase the temp much (which makes the true cost a little off).

The hot water heater electrical use during the brews was slightly higher, but would have been any hot water in the house, so I can't directly attribute it to the brew session, but final best guess answer to the cost of an electrical brewing session would be somewhere in the region of $1.50 including hot water heater and a 220v Grainfather.

Cheers!
Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

joe_r_harvie
Name: Joe Harvie

Re: 220V Grainfather Brewing Session Electrical Use

Post by joe_r_harvie » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 pm

Thanks for this post. I always wondered how much it costs to brew electric.
Primary - Porter, Standard Bitter
Secondary -
On tap - Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Blonde, Best Bitter, Premium Bitter, IPA

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:51 am

Great post, good info. When I changed from propane to my Robobrew, I was surprised how little kWh were used compared to propane for an equal size batch.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

MacMan
Name: Andy

Post by MacMan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:06 pm

Great info... I was wondering what the costs would be, I know propane heaters for swimming pools cost a fortune... even with a 20 lb tank costing 13 bucks to fill at Costco, electric is definitely more cost effective. I wonder what this would look like with an induction burner... my stove is induction with a 3600 watt main induction burner... now you have me thinking lol.
Kegged 1: Best Case West Coast IPA
Kegged 2: Bestcase Honey Wheat IPA
Kegged 3: Bestcase Irish Red IPA
Fermenting: TBD

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”