Source for Silicone Flip-Top (Grolsch) Bottle Gaskets?

A spot to talk general homebrew
Fil_Kay
Name: Fil

Source for Silicone Flip-Top (Grolsch) Bottle Gaskets?

Post by Fil_Kay » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:07 pm

Hey all;

Tried doing a search on here, but no luck, and haven't had a whole lot of success online.

I'm preparing to bottle my first batch, and I'm looking to replace the rubber gaskets on my (previously used) swing-top bottles with silicone. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck finding suitable replacements from any reputable suppliers (either brewing-specific or industrial supply). I've seen a few places that sell bottles with silicone seals, or even the caps with a silicone seal on them, but not the seals themselves. Only ones I've been able to find are on Amazon (or eBay/Ali Express), and I'm not entirely sure about the quality.

Anyone know where to source these?Alternatively, anyone use silicone seals from Amazon? I can get natural rubber gaskets locally if needed, but I'd rather get silicone ones that'll last me a while vs replacing natural rubber every few batches.

As an aside, anyone have any suggestions on how to remove rubber gaskets that are stuck to plastic caps? I've got a few bottles where the rubber's attached itself to the plastic, but I'd rather just replace the gasket rather than the entire cap.

Cheers!

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Re: Source for Silicone Flip-Top (Grolsch) Bottle Gaskets?

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:40 pm

I could be mistaken, but I thought I saw them at noble grape in Sackville. Give them a call just to be sure
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

Fil_Kay
Name: Fil

Post by Fil_Kay » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:03 pm

Bradbrewsbeer wrote:I could be mistaken, but I thought I saw them at noble grape in Sackville. Give them a call just to be sure
Thanks for the suggestion!

I tried giving them a call, but no luck; looks like they only stock the rubber ones.

I did end up ordering some from Amazon the other night, and they arrived this morning. I got two different types: one angled/fitted pack (that included the standard ones with the centre hole as well as full-coverage ones), and a pack of cheaper, flat, standard washers. Unfortunately, the flat ones still have a smell to them even after washing twice and boiling for about 25 minutes total, so they may end up going back. The other ones may have a faint smell, but not as bad.

Next step will probably be to try baking them for a couple hours to see if it gets rid of the smell, else they’re getting returned.

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:56 pm

No worries, good luck with the search
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”