Leaking taps

A spot to talk general homebrew
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Leaking taps

Post by Tim Gregory » Wed May 05, 2021 8:53 pm

I have 3 Perlick taps on my fridge. All are about 10 years old. I took them apart a few weeks ago to give them a good clean and ever since 2 of them have been leaking. I pulled them apart and don't see any issue. Anyone have any advice?

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Re: Leaking taps

Post by McGruff » Thu May 06, 2021 7:35 am

Check the o rings to see if there any chips or alignment issues. When you shut them off, do they seem kind of loose? Is there a spring in there to keep them closed? Just make sure everything is tight, but not too tight. Mine leak sometimes when I hook them up and I just take them apart, clean them again and try again. Yea, not the greatest advice.

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Thu May 06, 2021 7:39 am

I recently replaced my Perlicks with InterTaps recently because of leaking issues. The o-rings were old and stretched/dinged/etc. They had served me well for many years, but I couldn't find an o-ring replacement kit and, to be honest, didn't feel like putting any work into fixing the issue. The new InterTaps are very nice, by the way.

BTW if any one wants 3 free Perlicks that need some work, you are welcome to them :lol:

buddha3004
Name: Nick

Post by buddha3004 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:59 am

Hi I am curious. Ive got 3 kegs and 1 tap so I am willing to give it a try. Where about do you live? I would only take 2.
darciandjenn wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:39 am
I recently replaced my Perlicks with InterTaps recently because of leaking issues. The o-rings were old and stretched/dinged/etc. They had served me well for many years, but I couldn't find an o-ring replacement kit and, to be honest, didn't feel like putting any work into fixing the issue. The new InterTaps are very nice, by the way.

BTW if any one wants 3 free Perlicks that need some work, you are welcome to them :lol:
On Tap:English Pale Ale(Cone hops for Bittering), Belgian Pale Ale, ESB
Fermenting: American Lager
Planned: Maris/Wheat Pale Ale
Bottled: Cream Ale, Belgian Dubbel, ESB, Pale Ale

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Thu May 06, 2021 1:12 pm

I'll send you a PM..
buddha3004 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:59 am
Hi I am curious. Ive got 3 kegs and 1 tap so I am willing to give it a try. Where about do you live? I would only take 2.
darciandjenn wrote:

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Post by Tim Gregory » Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 pm

Yeah the o rings definitely look iffy. Took them apart and adjusted so we'll see. I might be buying new taps.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sat May 08, 2021 11:45 am

darciandjenn wrote:
I recently replaced my Perlicks with InterTaps recently because of leaking issues. The o-rings were old and stretched/dinged/etc. They had served me well for many years, but I couldn't find an o-ring replacement kit and, to be honest, didn't feel like putting any work into fixing the issue.
If anyone does feel like putting effort in, I see that ontario beer kegs does sell some replacement o rings. maybe not all of them.

https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/searchr ... ick+o+ring
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Sat May 08, 2021 12:06 pm

I've been replacing my perlick o-rings due to them leaking as well. I picked them up from OBK.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”