Hop debris in my fermentor

A spot to talk general homebrew
GrahamA
Name: Graham Austin

Hop debris in my fermentor

Post by GrahamA » Thu May 20, 2021 5:48 pm

Pre-prohibition Cream Ale is bubbling away

I don't know if it was the BIAB (only my second batch with that), the Yakima Chief hops (different consistency?), or the cold break keeping it in suspension (lot o corn in the mash) but it seemed like the hops didn't settle out well after whirlpool and chilling for around 1.5 hours.

Any ideas? Tips on keeping hops out of the fermenter?
Reformed 3 (2) vessel brewer

On tap: Dry Irish Stout, Pre-prohibition Cream Ale
On deck: contracted cider kit, seltzer?, chocolate peanut butter stout?

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Hop debris in my fermentor

Post by ConanTroutman » Thu May 20, 2021 6:45 pm

Before going into the fermentor you could try putting the hops in a nylon bag or hop filter of some sort. Like most things, there is disagreement amongst homebrewers as to whether it impacts utilization. For what it's worth, I haven't experienced that problem or encountered any evidence that would convince me it does, but your mileage may vary.

For transferring out, if you're worried about it making its way into bottles or kegs, you can try tying a nylon bag around your auto-syphon to act as a filter.

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Re: Hop debris in my fermentor

Post by Celiacbrew » Fri May 21, 2021 6:40 pm

Is this post fermentation or before fermentation that you have a lot of hop debris? If it is before, most of the particles will settle out and be covered by yeast and trub so no worries. If it is after then buy a packet of flavourless gelatine and mix it with some hot water and get it to hydrate then add that to you fermentor it will help to settle them out over a couple days. If you are bottling just keep the racking cane toward the top of the liquid and stop transferring before you disturb the debris at the bottom of the fermentor.

In the future you can let your kettle settle for 20-40 minutes and much of the debris will settle on the bottom. If you have a pick up tube in your kettle you can discard the first bit that comes out and then transfer bright wort only. A little trub is good for your fermentation, but hop debris and too much trub are not good practice.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”