Multi Step Mash with High Adjunct %

A spot to talk general homebrew
DunctheBrewer

Multi Step Mash with High Adjunct %

Post by DunctheBrewer » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:00 pm

Hello fellow BrewNoser’s.

I’m going to brew my first all-grain NEIPA this weekend and I’m wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on multi temperature step mashing with high amounts of adjunct.

From what I have researched, some sources say a protein or beta-glucan rest at lower temps should be considered when using high amounts of adjunct (>25%). The recipe I’m using has about 30% unmalted adjuncts (flaked barley/wheat/oats) so I’m wondering if I should incorporate a rest step.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Re: Multi Step Mash with High Adjunct %

Post by KB1138 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:12 pm

If it's within your abilities to do so, go for it. Breaking down those proteins will really help with lautering, and the extra bit of time for that step can pay off in time saved sparging.
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:45 pm

I’ve used that high a percentage and had it work out fine without the extra steps. Besides lautering issues your other main issue with large amounts of unmalted adjuncts is the lack of soluble protein needed for yeast health. You can end up with more sulphur or a beer that fails to attenuate if the alcohol % is high. Depending on your base malt there may not be enough betaglucanase and proteases left in your malt to convert the proteins in your adjuncts. You might want to add a smidge of yeast nutrient. Then again it will likely attenuate fine and warm fermentations drive off sulphur pretty effectively so you also might not want to bother. If you have an expired yeast packet on hand adding it to the end of your boil will give you what you need.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

DunctheBrewer

Post by DunctheBrewer » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:59 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I did end up trying out a two step mash. I read you can do a combined beta-glucanase/protein rest at ~113 F for 20 minutes so I gave that a shot. I have a BrewZilla which wasn’t too bad to ramp up up to mash temp after. The lauter went well so maybe the rest step helped, and I added about 3% rice hulls which might have contributed.

I added some White Labs WLN1000 nutrient to the end of the boil, great to hear that was a good call.

I was short on volume cause I messed up my mash/sparge water calculations, and didn’t have time to treat more water for the sparge. Lesson learned for next time, will prep more sparge water than I think I need.

Will let you know how it turns out!

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”