Chillers Preference

A spot to talk general homebrew
ry521178
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan W Murphy

Chillers Preference

Post by ry521178 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:27 pm

Hey, I'm looking at changing up my chiller and looking for advice. I currently use a DIY immersion chiller made of coiled 3/8"x25ft copper tubing. It works ok if you stand and stir the wort while running it, but definitely not efficient. Wondering what people use; whether a plate chiller, cfc, or immersion chiller. looks like some value plate chillers available on amazon in 100-150$ range, and CFC available through NG for similar price. Alternatively, copper tubing from HD is available 1/2"x50ft for similar. Mainly doing 5 gallon batches right now, and i have a pump. Any and all opinions/thoughts welcome!

Thanks!
Ryan

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: Chillers Preference

Post by GAM » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:32 pm

Slow your water flow to a minimum. Stir from time to time(leave spoon in hot wort),

Immersion works fine for the price.

Sandy

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:16 pm

I'm wary of plate chillers because I can never be certain they're completely clean inside. You're exposing the wort to potential contamination when it's most susceptible.

In the winter when we have snow I put the brew pot in the snow and keep piling snow around it as the snow melts. Call it Canadian-style chilling.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:35 pm

I just use an immersion chiller too, although mine is 50’ and 1/2”. Overkill for 5 gallons, but I used to make bigger batches. I like it because it’s easy and I don’t need a pump and it’s easy to clean. I swirl it a lot while it’s chilling, that helps. I’ve also been only using kveik yeasts so I only chill it to 80F or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:49 am

I stir often and don't wait until it gets to pitching temp. Usually with my well water, I can get it down to 80 F in 30 minutes. I then let the fermentation chamber do the rest. Yes, that means a later time to pitch the yeast. That gives me lots of time for a good clean up.

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:57 pm

I’m like Mcgruff, I get to below 30c and then finish cooling in my freezer.

I switched to a stainless immersion cooler because I read that iron and copper accelerate oxidation reactions. I used to use a copper counterflow chiller but it is slower going from 100c to 75c which makes whirlpool additions a pain. One other downside is cold break goes into your fermenter with a CFC or a plate chiller rather than being left behind in the kettle.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:15 pm

I make 5 gallon batches and I use a 25' x 1/2" stainless immersion chiller. I use my pump to generate a whirlpool rather than stirring. At my scale and with the hoppy beers I tend to brew much of the time, it's never seemed worth it to deal with the cleaning pain associated with homebrew-level plate chillers or the expense associated with really good counterflow chillers (e.g., the Chillzilla). You can also visually tell how clean an immersion chiller is.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:14 pm

I made a CFC which works great at cooling but had plugging issues 2-3 times out of the 5-6 times using it. I may explore better kettle drain screening, (open pickup now). I rely on my 50’ immersion with pumped recirculating whirlpool most often for convenience and sanitary peace of mind at the trade off of some additional cooling time.

Before I bought a pump I would use a sanitized (dedicated) paint mixer on a drill to whirlpool manually. Made a huge difference in cooling time. I was thinking about building a motor driven rig to replace the drill.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”