Page 1 of 1
Poor bag weight
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:08 pm
by Tony L
Just weighed out a sack of Pils malt ( Best maltz ) that I bought at NG.
WTF only 47 Lbs in a bag that was supposed to have 55Lbs.
Anyone else get screwed on the weight of a sack of malt.
BTW, not blaming NG, they didn't seal the bag from Germany.
Re: Poor bag weight
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:09 pm
by mr x
You know, I've never thought to weigh a bag. Nash probably has the most experience with NCM quality control...

Re: Poor bag weight
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:12 pm
by Tony L
mr x wrote:You know, I've never thought to weigh a bag. Nash probably has the most experience with NCM quality control...

I open each sack I get and weigh it into 2 pound lots and seal them in bags which then goes into a large plastic container with cover. Been doing it that way for years now.
Re: Poor bag weight
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:19 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
Tony L wrote:I open each sack I get and weigh it into 2 pound lots and seal them in bags which then goes into a large plastic container with cover. Been doing it that way for years now.
Have you ever had issues before? just curious if it's something you watch for
mr x wrote:You know, I've never thought to weigh a bag. Nash probably has the most experience with NCM quality control...

what about when splitting a full bag?
Re: Poor bag weight
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:10 am
by mr x
Yeah, now that you mention it, all those bag splits always worked out right.
Re: Poor bag weight
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:54 am
by Tony L
CorneliusAlphonse wrote:
Have you ever had issues before? just curious if it's something you watch for
?
Nope. This is the first time in 6 years of weighing out my grain this way that I have ever experienced a shortage in weight.
Usually I get a pound or two over. My other sack that I did yesterday, CM 2 row, was 55 lbs 8 Oz.
But the short fall on the other bag surprised me. We are talking 7 1/2 Lbs short.
Perhaps it was payback on behalf of all the malsters
Anyway, I plan on contacting The Country Malt Group to see what they will do for me. I have all the info from the sack.
Re: Poor bag weight
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:06 pm
by derek
mr x wrote:You know, I've never thought to weigh a bag. Nash probably has the most experience with NCM quality control...

I haven't either - but what I have noted is that any time I get the tail end of a bag from NCM in our group buys I end up with a hair overweight. So either JohnnyMac is short-changing everybody else, or the total weight is at least as advertised. I remember last time I was there, we were splitting out something like a pound that Hogie (I think) owed somebody else, and after the fact there was that much excess in the bag anyway.
Re: Poor bag weight
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:40 pm
by KMcK
derek wrote:I haven't either - but what I have noted is that any time I get the tail end of a bag from NCM in our group buys I end up with a hair overweight. So either JohnnyMac is short-changing everybody else, or the total weight is at least as advertised. I remember last time I was there, we were splitting out something like a pound that Hogie (I think) owed somebody else, and after the fact there was that much excess in the bag anyway.
Yes, that was for me. I recall thinking it would have been easier for me to just take the leftovers rather than measure out what Hogie owed me.
The hops, on the other hand, are another story. If anything, they're more likely to be under than over.

Re: Poor bag weight
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:36 pm
by Tony L
I noticed the weight difference the minute I picked up the sack.
I phoned NCM today and they got back to me saying that as I bought it at NG, I should go through them so they can go back to NCM.
So I phoned NG and told them what NCM said and to see what they could do for me. They will try to find out for me.
And like the guy I was talking to said... I wonder if any more sacks are like that?
Al in all, I'm not worried about 7 pounds of grain, but if NCM are springing for it, what the hell.