Page 1 of 1
Copper stupidity
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:28 pm
by Graham.C
While coiling my new immersion chiller I stupidly put a kink in the copper (actually while trying to get it out I put a few more). Only the one kink is bad, the rest came out, but should I just cut it out and solder in a joint? Does someone know a better idea? I figure the copper is probably shot for s#it where I kinked it, even if I could get it out, so cutting it out is likely the best idea but I wanted to ask to be sure.
Re: Copper stupidity
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:47 pm
by mr x
I'd say that"s what you need to do now.
Re: Copper stupidity
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:14 pm
by Relic
Although I don't know much....I'd suggest cut and join. In my crystal ball, I see visions of overflowing wort during the cooling process sometime in the future. To be followed by mandatory cursing......

Re: Copper stupidity
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 am
by derek
Relic wrote:Although I don't know much....I'd suggest cut and join. In my crystal ball, I see visions of overflowing wort during the cooling process sometime in the future. To be followed by mandatory cursing......

I thought cursing was mandatory in the beer-making process in any case. You should hear Nash...
Re: Copper stupidity
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:29 am
by KMcK
If he isn't cursing it's not good beer.
Re: Copper stupidity
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:46 am
by RubberToe
Yeah, I'd cut it and join it as well. Be careful cutting it since it's bendy and you don't want to squish the opening too much.
Re: Copper stupidity
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:40 am
by Graham.C
Rasp wrote:Yeah, I'd cut it and join it as well. Be careful cutting it since it's bendy and you don't want to squish the opening too much.
Yeah, I have a pipe cutter so that shouldn't be a problem. It was a dumb mistake. Damn copper costing so much.
Re: Copper stupidity
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:29 am
by ratchet
use a dremel to cut it.... wheeled pipe cutters will cause a restriction in the flow.
and while it goes without saying.... be sure your solder is lead-free if you're using it in your wort.
Re: Copper stupidity
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:57 am
by mr x
You ream out copper easy enough to use pipe cutters.