Page 1 of 1

Well water

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:42 pm
by bluenose
I'm on a well and the water tastes really good and is clear, but I'm wondering if I should put it through the Brita filter before using it for brewing. I usually just use bottled water in the big jugs.

What y'all think?

Re: Well water

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:57 pm
by erslar00
I've been very happy with the well water at my place and as I have never shocked my well I do not filter it. I haven't actually tested the PH on the mash but I get very good efficiencies so I'm pretty happy using it exactly as it is. I know one thing... way better than Etobicoke water I was using three years ago...lol.

Re: Well water

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:42 am
by mr x
I would just use the well water straight up if you think it's not too hard.

Re: Well water

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 am
by derek
bluenose wrote:I'm on a well and the water tastes really good and is clear, but I'm wondering if I should put it through the Brita filter before using it for brewing. I usually just use bottled water in the big jugs.

What y'all think?
If you like the taste of your water, I don't see any conceivable reason to put it through a Brita. It's probably better for beer before that. With wells, a lot depends on the depth of the well. Dug wells are likely providing very soft, acidic water. My deep well is full of minerals - not all of them pleasant to drink, but none of them bad for a nice IPA.