Page 1 of 1
electric fryer
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:30 pm
by donaldrstewart
Swmbo picked me up a 29 litre "electric turkey fryer" from the local Wal Mart for $65. It will heat up 10 litres of oil to 400F in less than an hour. It also has a built in drain spout. As I am only planning extract and extract with specialty grains and mostly partial boils, I think it will do me for the foreseeable future.
A good investment?
Any thoughts?
Re: electric fryer
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:04 pm
by Keggermeister
How many watts is it?
Re: electric fryer
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:13 pm
by donaldrstewart
Just checked -1500watts
Re: electric fryer
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:32 pm
by homebrewcrew
The electric compared to propane may take a bit longer to heat up but will be easier to control the temperature. I started out with a propane 30 liter turkey fryer setup 2 months ago and I am already looking to upgrade to a bigger pot so I can do all grain recipes. 30 liters is good as long as you don't plan to do all grain.
Re: electric fryer
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:37 pm
by Keggermeister
I think 1500 watts is on the lean side to boil 5 gallons in a reasonable amount of time. You should boil water in it first and time how long it takes.
You may need to consider building a heat stick to supplement things.
Re: electric fryer
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:04 pm
by donaldrstewart
As I said, its only extract and maybe specialty grains for the next while. I have no empty kegs right now so it will be a while before the next brew day. I do plan to do some test boils just to see how long it will take to boil. It says it will heat 10litres of oil to to 400F in less than an hour, so I hope 15litres of wort to boil will be about the same