Some advice for room temp kegging

A spot to talk general homebrew
UncleT

Some advice for room temp kegging

Post by UncleT » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi All,
My first post!
I just purchased 2 20L kegs, 20lb CO2 and assorted goodies via Kijiji Halifax. I had a few questions that i wasnt able to find clear answers for online yet.

1) is sticking the keg in the refrigerator required for carbonating/serving? I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment and dont really have the extra space to get a bar fridge. I've seen something called a "jockey box" which would allow you to produce cold beer from a warm keg. Is this a viable option.

2) Is it tricky to bottle (warm) beer from a keg?

3) After a keg is carbonated can you detach the gas line and store it at room temp whenever not in use and for how long?

Thanks

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: Some advice for room temp kegging

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:28 pm

Congrats on the gear score.

It's pretty tough serving beer without it being fairly cold, unless you like low carbed british bitters/stouts. I recall a guy in Mexico trying the jockeybox method, but it wasn't that successful.

It could be quite tricky bottling warm beer from the keg, it just doesn't want to behave when warm.

You can definitely detach the gas line once the keg is carbed and pressurized indefinitely. You can also naturally carb your beer with sugar and not bother with the gas except to seat the lid.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”