Page 1 of 1

Issues with DME

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:20 pm
by sleepyjamie
I've used a few batches with DME additions from NG and it seems every time I do my batches finish at final gravity higher than I wanted. usually around 1.018 for a 1.062 beer.

anyone else have issues with DME from NG?

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:12 pm
by amartin
I did a few times awhile back, and I tested it for starch with some iodine. It came up positive. I haven't used any since.

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:53 pm
by NASH
I haven't used any DME for about a million yrs but back in the day the stuff was awful for the same reason. According to the supplier it was what it was: the dehydration process caramelized more sugars leaving it less fermentable. Results may vary from different manufacturers or techniques of manufacture but I gave up and really have no idea how the more modern day stuff is :cheers:

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:54 pm
by spears104
I only used DME from NG once and had a similar experience. I use their bulk LME with no problems. I usually stick with Muntons light DME now, I buy these in 25 kg boxes.

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:08 pm
by Downs
hey spears where do you get those 25kg of light dme boxes?

I was told to offset the DME with a bit of dextrose as the sugars in dme are less fermentable.
So I tend to put a bit of extra dextrose in above what the recipe was calling for for sugar.

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:41 pm
by sleepyjamie
Thanks for the heads up.

What are you guys using for yeast starters?

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:53 pm
by jeffsmith
sleepyjamie wrote:Thanks for the heads up.

What are you guys using for yeast starters?
I use Briess Pilsen Light DME for yeast starters but have been thinking about brewing up a 1.035 wort from 2-row and using a pressure cooker to can it. That way I wouldn't have to rely on expensive DME any more.

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:58 pm
by spears104
Downs wrote:hey spears where do you get those 25kg of light dme boxes?

I was told to offset the DME with a bit of dextrose as the sugars in dme are less fermentable.
So I tend to put a bit of extra dextrose in above what the recipe was calling for for sugar.
I get my local homebrew shop to order it. They get it from winemakeri. It works out to $8.60/kg when you buy it like this ($215 for the box.)

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:31 pm
by derek
jeffsmith wrote:
sleepyjamie wrote:Thanks for the heads up.

What are you guys using for yeast starters?
I use Briess Pilsen Light DME for yeast starters but have been thinking about brewing up a 1.035 wort from 2-row and using a pressure cooker to can it. That way I wouldn't have to rely on expensive DME any more.
Interesting idea - how about making it a much higher gravity and diluting before use? It seems like a waste of mason jars otherwise.

Won't my wife be surprised to see me using her new canner...

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:06 pm
by Downs
spears104 wrote:
Downs wrote:hey spears where do you get those 25kg of light dme boxes?

I was told to offset the DME with a bit of dextrose as the sugars in dme are less fermentable.
So I tend to put a bit of extra dextrose in above what the recipe was calling for for sugar.
I get my local homebrew shop to order it. They get it from winemakeri. It works out to $8.60/kg when you buy it like this ($215 for the box.)
holy shit
as in the Winemakeri in lower sackville
which is 2 mins from my house
ok feeling sort of like an idiot now
this should at least beat NG's price by a few bucks a kg
thanks so much

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:34 pm
by akr71
derek wrote:
jeffsmith wrote:
sleepyjamie wrote:Thanks for the heads up.

What are you guys using for yeast starters?
I use Briess Pilsen Light DME for yeast starters but have been thinking about brewing up a 1.035 wort from 2-row and using a pressure cooker to can it. That way I wouldn't have to rely on expensive DME any more.
Interesting idea - how about making it a much higher gravity and diluting before use? It seems like a waste of mason jars otherwise.

Won't my wife be surprised to see me using her new canner...
You could also freeze it, of course, then you have to wait for it to thaw.

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 pm
by derek
akr71 wrote:
derek wrote:
jeffsmith wrote:... have been thinking about brewing up a 1.035 wort from 2-row and using a pressure cooker to can it.
Won't my wife be surprised to see me using her new canner...
You could also freeze it, of course, then you have to wait for it to thaw.
No, actually, I couldn't. My home is off-grid, and we have a very small freezer, which is always full, so canning really is an attractive option.

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:22 pm
by akr71
Well then, I can freeze it.

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:02 am
by know1
Downs wrote:
spears104 wrote:
Downs wrote:hey spears where do you get those 25kg of light dme boxes?

I was told to offset the DME with a bit of dextrose as the sugars in dme are less fermentable.
So I tend to put a bit of extra dextrose in above what the recipe was calling for for sugar.
I get my local homebrew shop to order it. They get it from winemakeri. It works out to $8.60/kg when you buy it like this ($215 for the box.)
holy shit
as in the Winemakeri in lower sackville
which is 2 mins from my house
ok feeling sort of like an idiot now
this should at least beat NG's price by a few bucks a kg
thanks so much

I may be wrong but I believe they only sell wholesale to companies...but then again so does NCM :lol:

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 am
by mr x
That price is ridiculous, unfortunately, NCM didn't have the DME in stock when we placed our order. :(

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:39 am
by spears104
mr x wrote:That price is ridiculous, unfortunately, NCM didn't have the DME in stock when we placed our order. :(
Its the best price I could get out in the sticks...I guess I have to investigate the group buys!

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:55 am
by mr x
Definitely. About $100 for 50lbs.

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:47 am
by RubberToe
jeffsmith wrote:I use Briess Pilsen Light DME for yeast starters but have been thinking about brewing up a 1.035 wort from 2-row and using a pressure cooker to can it. That way I wouldn't have to rely on expensive DME any more.
That's what I'm planning on doing once my indoor rig is complete.

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:47 am
by Downs
so ya no word back from them if they sell locally
works out to maybe a buck a pound savings at this price from NG
perhaps not worth buying a big lot, just buying small until the next group buy

Re: Issues with DME

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:50 pm
by KMcK
know1 wrote:
Downs wrote:
spears104 wrote:I get my local homebrew shop to order it. They get it from winemakeri. It works out to $8.60/kg when you buy it like this ($215 for the box.)
holy shit
as in the Winemakeri in lower sackville
which is 2 mins from my house
ok feeling sort of like an idiot now
this should at least beat NG's price by a few bucks a kg
thanks so much
I may be wrong but I believe they only sell wholesale to companies...but then again so does NCM :lol:
They sell retail on-line but I don't think they have retail on-site.