Page 1 of 1
substituting heather for hops
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 pm
by akr71
Anybody done this before? Any idea how much to use? I've read 25 grams/gallon... The brew has to have absolutely no hops, because its for my step-mom who is allergic to hops.
Re: substituting heather for hops
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:22 pm
by spears104
I could only find one recipe for Heather Ale in "The Homebrewer's Garden." It said to use 12 cups of heather blossoms, put 10 cups in the boil and strain the beer through the remaining two cups when filling the fermenter. I wish they would have given the weight instead of volume. Hope this helps.
Re: substituting heather for hops
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 am
by akr71
It helps, thanks. Is this for a regular 5 gallon batch?
Re: substituting heather for hops
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:03 am
by mr x
fyi, bog myrtle works well at the end for flavour.
Re: substituting heather for hops
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:15 pm
by spears104
akr71 wrote:It helps, thanks. Is this for a regular 5 gallon batch?
Yes. 5 us gallons (19 l)