Thanks
Growler filling from picnic tap
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Growler filling from picnic tap
I'm new to kegging. If I want to fill a growler from my picnic tap, I assume that I will need to attach a small piece of hose to the end of the picnic tap so that I can fill the growler from the bottom? Also I assume that the growler should be pre-chilled prior to filling?
Thanks

Thanks
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: Growler filling from picnic tap
I don' pre chill often. You will lose carb fast but it works.
I use a broken filler tube in the tap, but flex tube will work too.
Sandy
I use a broken filler tube in the tap, but flex tube will work too.
Sandy
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Growler filling from picnic tap
I chill my growlers, then just fill straight from the normal tap. Be sure to turn down your serving pressure as well, that helps reduce foaming alot.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Growler filling from picnic tap
yeah, turning down pressure is something i always neglect to do, and always regret.LiverDance wrote:I chill my growlers, then just fill straight from the normal tap. Be sure to turn down your serving pressure as well, that helps reduce foaming alot.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Growler filling from picnic tap
Sometimes I get lazy and just bleed the pressure from the keg and then fill while the co2 is building back up, this works as well but depending on how much pressure you use and head space there is you may have to bleed it a couple of times.CorneliusAlphonse wrote:yeah, turning down pressure is something i always neglect to do, and always regret.LiverDance wrote:I chill my growlers, then just fill straight from the normal tap. Be sure to turn down your serving pressure as well, that helps reduce foaming alot.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Growler filling from picnic tap
I use hose jammed in my Perlick tap. Semi chilled growler. Disconnect gas in, and depending on the carb level of the beer, i might bleed a little pressure.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- canuck
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
- Name: Shane
- Location: Quispamsis, NB
- Contact:
Re: Growler filling from picnic tap
Pretty much identical to what I've been doing.mr x wrote:I use hose jammed in my Perlick tap. Semi chilled growler. Disconnect gas in, and depending on the carb level of the beer, i might bleed a little pressure.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests