HRM Water Profiles

A spot to talk general homebrew
Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Re: HRM Water Profiles

Post by Peterpasha » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:25 am

That's a fantastic wealth of information, thanks!
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Post by ackes » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Peterpasha wrote:That's a fantastic wealth of information, thanks!
No problem.

Cheers !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Yeastcoaster wrote:I had a conversation about this just yesterday. I have tried all of nine-locks beer, and I find that it all has what I can only refer to is a "process-indicator". The beers all have a very faint aftertaste that I get across the board. This is no dig @ their beer, it is great, I just find that I get locked on that flavour. Do they have a different supply than the city?

They would be on Lake Major. I find Garrison, Propeller, Tata, and Nine Locks all have that going on. Not in every beer they make but there's the process indicators like you mentioned.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:20 am

I've updated the first post in this thread with the 2017 report.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

SFR709
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Scott

Post by SFR709 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Hey, I'm trying to throw together a water profile in beer smith using the 2017 Analysis that Rob put on the original post. The value I can't figure out is "Bicarbonate (HCO3)", the original post has it listed (I'm in Dartmouth so under Lake Major) but the values shown don't line up with the new analysis so I believe they are based on the old one. With that in mind does anyone know what the 2017 bicarbonate levels for Lake Major are? Or how to calculate them using the Alkalinity or Hardness values?

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:52 pm

“Find the total alkalinity on the report. Divide it by 50 and multiply the result by 61. Enter that as the bicarbonate in your spreadsheet. This will be close enough for government work in all cases except where pH of the source water is above 8 or below 6.” - AJ Delange

SFR709
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Scott

Post by SFR709 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Deadly, thanks for the quick reply!

Kaden

Post by Kaden » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:21 am

I need a course on water sizegenetics price chemistry also it will help me a lot more then what i know now about water
Last edited by Kaden on Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahunt
Name: Alex

Post by ahunt » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:11 pm

Has anyone ever tested their water profile and compared to the report from Halifax water? I'm curious how much it would differ at the tap vs the reservoir.

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:46 am

ahunt wrote:Has anyone ever tested their water profile and compared to the report from Halifax water? I'm curious how much it would differ at the tap vs the reservoir.
I don’t have an exact answer for that but feel I can weigh in a little. Even if someone does give you this info it will cannot integrate into your brewing since you would have to do it at your tap over seasonal variations in source water (lake stratification etc)

Our water is so “soft” here nearly devoid of major brewing ions. If the source and treated water had higher levels the discrepancies between that and your tap would then have a greater impact on your brewing parameters.

Further complicating this is that HW take averages over the year for their reports, this might slightly take away from what I’ve suggested however I know first hand that even if given 10 gallons of water at all their extremes it would not have that drastic of an affect on our brewing.

In my memory there was only one instance in recent years that HW reached out to their industrial customers about a spike that was potentially so large that it would impact brewers.

If someone can point to some holes in what I’m saying by all means please chime in, I’m on the path to figuring this all out myself.

BrewG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Gerard

Post by BrewG » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Just trying to figure out my issue with my IPA’s. They’re lacking crispness, hop flavour. I used to brew the same recipe in Saskatoon which had hard water the IPA came out great. I now live in Dartmouth and can make a really good Lager but the IPA is a malty hoppy unbalanced mess. So I’m thinking water. I need a recommendation in regards to brewing salts. What’s everyone putting in to make a good IPA with Dartmouth water? I’ve used beer smith and have plugged in the Dartmouth values just want to see what other brewers are doing? Also does lake major change much from season to season?

Cheers

BiersalBrewery
Name: Chris

Post by BiersalBrewery » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:14 pm

is there a water profile for Fairview Clayton Park area ( Willett and Lacewood area)?
Last Beer Made And Drinking: Hoptimus Prime. American IPA, Raspberry Beret Raspberry Wheat Ale, Pink Panther Shandy
Bottled And Carbonating:
Fermenting: Boxing Rock Black Box Challange versions 1&2
Future Brews:
White Of The Living Dead. Belgian Witbier.
White Juan White IPA.
Meesh Blonde Ale
Prime Art. American IPA
SMaSH The Lemons. Lemondrop SMaSH Saison

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 pm

BiersalBrewery wrote:is there a water profile for Fairview Clayton Park area ( Willett and Lacewood area)?
That would be the Pockwock profile.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

BiersalBrewery
Name: Chris

Post by BiersalBrewery » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Ok ty
Last Beer Made And Drinking: Hoptimus Prime. American IPA, Raspberry Beret Raspberry Wheat Ale, Pink Panther Shandy
Bottled And Carbonating:
Fermenting: Boxing Rock Black Box Challange versions 1&2
Future Brews:
White Of The Living Dead. Belgian Witbier.
White Juan White IPA.
Meesh Blonde Ale
Prime Art. American IPA
SMaSH The Lemons. Lemondrop SMaSH Saison

buddha3004
Name: Nick

Post by buddha3004 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:13 am

oceanic_brew wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:52 pm
“Find the total alkalinity on the report. Divide it by 50 and multiply the result by 61. Enter that as the bicarbonate in your spreadsheet. This will be close enough for government work in all cases except where pH of the source water is above 8 or below 6.” - AJ Delange

Hey,
So using Lake Major water report from 2018 Alkalinity (CaCO3) = 27
So 27/50*61 = 33
this seems low?
I am completely new to water profiles etc but listening to podcasts etc and their bicarbonates seem to be in the 100's
am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
On Tap:English Pale Ale(Cone hops for Bittering), Belgian Pale Ale, ESB
Fermenting: American Lager
Planned: Maris/Wheat Pale Ale
Bottled: Cream Ale, Belgian Dubbel, ESB, Pale Ale

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:39 pm

buddha3004 wrote:
oceanic_brew wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Hey,
So using Lake Major water report from 2018 Alkalinity (CaCO3) = 27
So 27/50*61 = 33
this seems low?
I am completely new to water profiles etc but listening to podcasts etc and their bicarbonates seem to be in the 100's
am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Yup that’s it. It’s super low. A very fortunate situation. Since your primary goal is to achieve your target Mash ph you shouldn’t have to raise it in all but a few grists.

If you are brewing something with a lot of crystal and roast malts and you find that your spreadsheets or whatever are predicting a low PH then remove any salts from the mash that are lowering the PH or get your specialty grains crushed separately and steep them outside your main mash (other benefits here too)

Don’t listen to anything that tells you to add chalk, it needs to be dissolved with co2 and doesn’t really seem to be worth it given the workarounds unless you’re after it for a secondary flavor aesthetic.

Here to help PM me if any questions. Know enough to be dangerous. Water is an insanely complex brewing topic.

Brewhaha!
Name: Kyle Connolly

Post by Brewhaha! » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Can you dissolve chalk using a Soda Stream? Seems like a nifty hack, if only I had one...

DocksideBrewing
Name: Stew

Post by DocksideBrewing » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:40 am

Question for anyone brewing in the Lower Sackville area... When using your tap water, are you adding anything to it at any point to adjust the water chemistry??? My last couple of batches have not turned out as good as have hoped (IPA's). There are a few other reasons this could be the case (my ingredients sat around for a bit, and I let the batch sit in the fermenter longer than normal). But just trying to see if there are simple steps to take when working with water or if just using the basic tap water should be fine? I really want to extract more hop flavours in my IPA's. Thanks in advance

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:18 pm

Water chemistry is sort of the last step in brewing to worry about. Healthy yeast, pitching rates, ferm temps, etc. all have a bigger impact on the final product and are what you want to get nailed down before worrying too much about water ions. Water won't make the difference between good beer and bad beer if you haven't gotten the more important aspects first
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:40 am

I brew with Middle Sackville water, which is likely the same Pockwock. I started using water chemistry two years ago and it really does help with hoppy beers and nailing styles down more. I would look into that if I were you. Apps like brewfather let you plug in the numbers off this site and it automatically calculates what you need to add based off style. Very handy stuff.
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

DocksideBrewing

Post by DocksideBrewing » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:03 am

PMackie wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:40 am
I brew with Middle Sackville water, which is likely the same Pockwock. I started using water chemistry two years ago and it really does help with hoppy beers and nailing styles down more. I would look into that if I were you. Apps like brewfather let you plug in the numbers off this site and it automatically calculates what you need to add based off style. Very handy stuff.
I have the water profile put into the BeerSmith app. Do you know if that app automatically calculates what you need to add? I'm new to the water game.

AnarchistBrewing
Name: Chris Wakfer

Post by AnarchistBrewing » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:00 pm

Has anyone done mineral content testing on the Dartmouth water supply since the lake major work last month?
:headbang: Support a punk, give them a beer :headbang:

Camdrumr
Name: Cameron Beare

Post by Camdrumr » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:45 pm

DocksideBrewing wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:40 am
Question for anyone brewing in the Lower Sackville area... When using your tap water, are you adding anything to it at any point to adjust the water chemistry??? My last couple of batches have not turned out as good as have hoped (IPA's). There are a few other reasons this could be the case (my ingredients sat around for a bit, and I let the batch sit in the fermenter longer than normal). But just trying to see if there are simple steps to take when working with water or if just using the basic tap water should be fine? I really want to extract more hop flavours in my IPA's. Thanks in advance
I brew in Lower Sackville. I’m no expert! According to our water report our water is very pure (pretty low minerals across the board). I plug the readings from the Halifax publication into Beersmith. It then tells me what to add depending on the style. Very nifty! I noticed a brulosophy experiment showed that different water chemistry made a perceptible difference in taste using the same recipe. Try searching 'brulosophy water chemistry experiment'. That convinced me adjusting water is definitely worth it.

Does that help?

DocksideBrewing

Post by DocksideBrewing » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:58 am

Awesome thanks! Yes I use Beersmith as well, so should be pretty simple. Mind you I haven't brewed since the fall, I've been losing touch with it, life is too busy and when I have the opportunity, it's not my go to choice to spend 5 or so hours brewing...
Hopefully in the spring I'll get back to brewing more often.
Thanks again for the info.
Take care

Camdrumr wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:45 pm
DocksideBrewing wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:40 am
I brew in Lower Sackville. I’m no expert! According to our water report our water is very pure (pretty low minerals across the board). I plug the readings from the Halifax publication into Beersmith. It then tells me what to add depending on the style. Very nifty! I noticed a brulosophy experiment showed that different water chemistry made a perceptible difference in taste using the same recipe. Try searching 'brulosophy water chemistry experiment'. That convinced me adjusting water is definitely worth it.

Does that help?

BAbrewing
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BAbrewing » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:13 pm

Does anyone here use spring water? I am going to avoid using well water, I brewed on HRM water for years but have since moved away. Heres the water report from my local u-fill

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1434/ ... 1631899716

Units are ug/L no idea how to convert that to ppm

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”