Local Oak Barrels

A spot to talk general homebrew
JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Local Oak Barrels

Post by JohnnyMac » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:53 pm

As discussed at last week's meeting, I was able to make it over to Advantage Supply in Woodside to check out the whiskey barrels they have on hand.

Here's the scoop;
45 Gallon 'wet' Glenora whiskey barrels
36" high X 27" bilge (around the middle)
$50.00 each plus tax

The only issue I have is the shape that they are in. As you can see in the photos, they have been sitting outside now for 6-7 months and are looking kinda rough. Some have staves cracked/missing, rusty bands, etc.

I'm still exicted about trying a collaboration brew with those interested (X, Chalmers, Ratchet) to fill up one of these bad boys, just worried that the condition of the barrel might be showstopper.

What do you guys think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's not about the beer. It's about the beer." - Don Younger

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: Local Oak Barrels

Post by mr x » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:15 pm

I am definitely up for this, but the current condition might be a problem. I wonder if there is a way for us to get a fresher barrel from them, or the distillery directly?
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Re: Local Oak Barrels

Post by NASH » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:28 pm

No problem to buy direct from Glenora but their next run may not be til June. FYI these originally are used JD bbls.

NCM sells fresh JD bbls for $100/ea plus shipping direct from JD. 4 fit on a skid.

sent from the hop-phone.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”