SodaStream co2 system

A spot to talk general homebrew
derekmac
Verified User
Verified User

SodaStream co2 system

Post by derekmac » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Hey all,

I picked up 4 of these mini cylinders, including 2 "regulators" and a couple of dozen caps. Here are pictures of the cap (together and disassembled) as well as what is written on the label of the cylinder itself. (more pics next posting).

Apparently the guy I got these from used to make 4 brews at once, and bottle some in kegs, and some in 2litre pop bottles, and force carbonate them with this system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jmac00
Verified User
Verified User

Re: SodaStream co2 system

Post by Jmac00 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:35 pm

i've seen ppl make these for 2L pop bottles using the cap, tire valve, and an air chuck attachment on co2 line. just curious how much were the cylinders? there's a store here in town that has some of these, basically left over stock...i'll price them next time i'm in there.

derekmac
Verified User
Verified User

Post by derekmac » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:57 pm

Here are the rest of the pictures.

I did a quick websearch and there are adapters and conversions available. See, for example, http://www.thriftyscrimper.com/SODASTRE ... 54700.aspx

These cylinders came with a bunch of ball lock corneys, co2 cylinders, and other brewing stuff. I'm intrigued by how I might be able to use the system, or re-engineer it so be more consistent with the normal co2 system (i.e., fit current fittings and such).

mr x, you said you were interested in this stuff, so let me know if you want to take a closer look. I could probably drop some stuff off to you (are you in Halifax)?

One thing about this regulator thingy is that you can't really do anything about the spot where the caps go (i.e., close it off). When you depress the black button it shoots co2 out that little nipple as well as into the gauge. I imagine its set at around 10psi, but that's just a guess.

I tried to unscrew the brass "valve" on the bottle, but didn't want to use anything with teeth that would chew into the paint/metal (and thus didn't get anywhere).

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

derekmac
Verified User
Verified User

Post by derekmac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:06 am

Jmac00 wrote: just curious how much were the cylinders? there's a store here in town that has some of these, basically left over stock...i'll price them next time i'm in there.
It was a bunch of stuff (see the "Home beer making kit") topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=229

It was $250 for 7 corney kegs, 1 20# cylinder (empty), 1 5# cylinder (full with dual gauge regulator), 1 large and 1 small carboy, 1 large plastic carboy, 5 white buckets, 4 of the mini cylinders, 2 mini cylinder regulators, a couple dozen mini system pop bottle caps, and a bunch of other brewing stuff (airlocks, old hoses, spoon...) that I don't need. He would only sell it as a lot.

I stopped into Don Brentons and I can get the 20# co2 cylinder hydro tested and filled for $60. They couldn't, however, find an adapter to fill the mini cylinders and suggested praxair or air liquide.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:26 am

Sounds like a great haul for the price!

If you're looking to get rid of the small cylinders/reg, I'm interested in one, for transport. Have you been in touch with the seller to find out how/where he got them filled?

Or perhaps JMac might be able to find something out from the store still selling them. I'm curious to hear the price there, too, and if they carry regulators and/or adapters for filling.

derekmac
Verified User
Verified User

SodaStream co2 system

Post by derekmac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:56 am

chalmers wrote:Sounds like a great haul for the price!

If you're looking to get rid of the small cylinders/reg, I'm interested in one, for transport. Have you been in touch with the seller to find out how/where he got them filled?

Or perhaps JMac might be able to find something out from the store still selling them. I'm curious to hear the price there, too, and if they carry regulators and/or adapters for filling.
I believe he said he used to take them to the brewery for refilling.

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:18 am

derekmac wrote:Here are the rest of the pictures.
I tried to unscrew the brass "valve" on the bottle, but didn't want to use anything with teeth that would chew into the paint/metal (and thus didn't get anywhere).

Thoughts?

the brass thing seems to have flats on it.... so use a normal wrench on that part and use a rubber strap wrench on the tank itself.

that is, of course, assuming that it does come off.

Jmac00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Jmac00 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:29 am

looks to be the same style tanks as paintball maybe?? should be easy to fill if that's the case at any paintball place.

derekmac
Verified User
Verified User

Post by derekmac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:05 am

ratchet wrote:the brass thing seems to have flats on it.... so use a normal wrench on that part and use a rubber strap wrench on the tank itself.

I put it in my large vise with wood on each side, very tight, and put a wrench on the cylinder top, and it didn't budge. I carefully put a lot of force on it.

Here is an adapter to directly attach a regulator to the sodastream bottle:
http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com.au/p ... 37c215cbd7

derekmac
Verified User
Verified User

Post by derekmac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 am

Here's a great website to learn more about co2

http://www.teamonslaught.fsnet.co.uk/co2_info.htm

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:31 pm

derekmac wrote:
ratchet wrote:the brass thing seems to have flats on it.... so use a normal wrench on that part and use a rubber strap wrench on the tank itself.

I put it in my large vise with wood on each side, very tight, and put a wrench on the cylinder top, and it didn't budge. I carefully put a lot of force on it.

Here is an adapter to directly attach a regulator to the sodastream bottle:
http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com.au/p ... 37c215cbd7
From that and the Team Onslaught site, it looks like that brass top stays put, with an adapter added put on the end to make it possible to refill at home or elsewhere.

derekmac
Verified User
Verified User

Post by derekmac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:18 pm

This project, to make portable co2 cylinders, seems to be getting pretty expensive. It looks like there would have to be 2 systems: to refill the bottles, and to dispense the co2 into kegs. And it looks like all the adapters are at least $25 each.

I've never transferred liquid co2 from 1 cylinder to another. I read somewhere that there is some danger of the transferred liquid co2 clogging up pipes/hoses/fittings. I'm not sure how fast it would come out. Also, I'm guessing you would need a hose for the transfer, as well as a scale so you don't overfill the mini cylinder. If the minicylinder top doesn't come off, will the co2 clog the valve in it?

Lots of mysteries.

Jmac00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Jmac00 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:26 pm

here's the kit i use....takes paintball tanks, so pretty standard and easy to find places to fill.

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article. ... e_id=61122

derekmac
Verified User
Verified User

SodaStream co2 system

Post by derekmac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Just called noble grape lacewood. They fill these cylinders! 4.99 for 250g (full I'm guessing)

derekmac
Verified User
Verified User

SodaStream co2 system

Post by derekmac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:12 pm

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0281650986

Someone has the original system with these tanks for sale on eBay. Please excuse the mobile link

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:36 pm

derekmac wrote:mr x, you said you were interested in this stuff, so let me know if you want to take a closer look. I could probably drop some stuff off to you (are you in Halifax)?
Hey Derek, I've located one of those JacPac systems, and am going to grab it if I can beat down CT, or just try to wait until it goes on sale.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jmac00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Jmac00 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:10 pm

mr x wrote:
derekmac wrote:mr x, you said you were interested in this stuff, so let me know if you want to take a closer look. I could probably drop some stuff off to you (are you in Halifax)?
Hey Derek, I've located one of those JacPac systems, and am going to grab it if I can beat down CT, or just try to wait until it goes on sale.
See if they can give you the lowest sale price...(29.99)...use the discontinued and no longer listed pitch to help.. Good luck!!!

P.S. if you do grab one, the tank is empty.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:29 pm

That's my plan. 8-)
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:12 pm

mr x wrote:
Any luck? More than one available? An extra one for a buddy?

Derekmac was kind enough to drop off an extra Soda Stream bottle, and I'm also going to try and get a decent set-up going. My neighbour is a paintballer, might some ideas.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:16 pm

There was two on the shelf when I was there last. All I can do is ask when i get back home. There may some in the city as well, haven't looked here.

derekmac
Verified User
Verified User

Post by derekmac » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:31 am

There is an ad on kijiji http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z253225178 selling a newer style sodastream cylinder. Its full of co2 and the seller wants $10. Its a good deal, if you can hook something up to the threads (see pic). I've just committed to the paintball/older sodastream system, so I'm hesitant to pick this up.

I just thought I would pass it on. Planet Organic (Quinpool) has this system and I think its >$20 to exchange empty cylinders for full ones.

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:58 pm

It sounds like this one has different threads than the older Sodastream tank?
Have you had a chance to have yours refilled and/or used the adapter to get it into a reg yet? I've been away, so nothing doing on my end.

derekmac
Verified User
Verified User

SodaStream co2 system

Post by derekmac » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:35 am

I'm just waiting on some steel braided hoses and a couple of adapter. Im trying to create systems to fill it as well as connect a regulator to it. I'll post my (anticipated) success when it happens.

The fill setup is basically just a valve and a flexible hose (so you can weigh it as you fill it). Ive read online that you can just invert the co2 tank to expel liquid co2 rather than gas, and thus fill the little one.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”