Page 1 of 1
What to brew with used Brandy Oak Cubes?
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:14 pm
by GillettBreweryCnslt
So as the title suggests I recently received a bag of charred oak cubes used to flavour a batch of brandy. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can use them in a brew? there aren't too many, perhaps a half of a small ziplock bag, but there's still brandy in them, that's for sure!
Dave
Re: What to brew with used Brandy Oak Cubes?
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:19 pm
by mr x
Well, I made an oatmeal stout with chipped whiskey barrel. Probably about 1/3 of a ziplock bag. I thought is turned out great.
Re: What to brew with used Brandy Oak Cubes?
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:08 pm
by amartin
I'd limit it to something already strongly flavoured, oak can overwhelm a beer easily enough. A winter warmer/old ale type beer would be good, but I'd also be tempted to try an IPA with it.
Re: What to brew with used Brandy Oak Cubes?
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:21 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
I might play it safe and go with an english stout. I have a winter warmer recipe that I've been working on for some time (over a few batches) so I'm not prepared to radically change it this time.
But my other thought would be a sweet cherry wheat beer...