Page 1 of 1

Why to avoid sediment when kegging

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:26 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
Well, tonight I discovered why i should be a bit better at avoiding sediment when transferring beer into a keg. I transferred a hoppy beer into a keg on monday, and put it in the fridge to cool and carbonate. Tonight, I thought i would pull a small glass just to see what it tasted like. I put on the liquid connect, opened the tap... and out came two drops. my dip tube is clogged. now I have to figure out how to fix it.

The dip tube in question had a couple of the mixer inserts in it, so that surely helped it clog. I could put the gas on the liquid out to push the crap out maybe, but that would be a temporary fix. i am cleaning a second keg i have, and will likely rack over to it tomorrow.

Re: Why to avoid the sediment when kegging

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 am
by LiverDance
put the gas in on the beer out till it blows back through. Try not to completely get it on though as it isn't the same post on both sides, and will be a bitch to get off.

Re: Why to avoid the sediment when kegging

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:59 am
by GAM
Liam

I have some connectors PL & BL set up transfer clean and other uses.

I have the made up connectors you need.

Sandy

Re: Why to avoid the sediment when kegging

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:04 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
GAM wrote:Liam

I have some connectors PL & BL set up transfer clean and other uses.

I have the made up connectors you need.

Sandy
i was figuring i would just use a racking cane and plastic siphon tube - i think there is a fair pile of sediment at the bottom of the keg, so i can't really rack out using pressure and the dip tube, cause nothing flows at all. thanks for the offer though :cheers3:

Re: Why to avoid sediment when kegging

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:14 am
by GAM
I meant to free the clog.

Sandy

Re: Why to avoid sediment when kegging

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:19 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
GAM wrote:I meant to free the clog.

Sandy
ahh, right. yeah i cleared the dip tube once by taking it apart and cleaning it all, but it clogged immediately when i tried again, so i think i have to re-rack