Page 1 of 2

High Temp Tubing

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:15 pm
by mattvincent24
Hi there!

Im new to this forum (sorry i haven't introduced myself in the new members post) and i have a question for all you all grainers. What kind of tubing do you use on your hot side? I was all over burnside today looking for high temp food grade tubing and came up with nothing. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Matt

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:49 pm
by mr x
I use silicone tubing. We had ordered it from a couple different places. It ain't cheap though.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:16 pm
by mattvincent24
At this point I don't care what it costs. I put together a new system last weekend and i would like to use it this weekend, but i have no tubing. I really didn't think finding this stuff would be so hard.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:18 pm
by mr x
Mcmaster Carr is one supplier, but you need an existing account for them to ship to Canada. Check through our supplier thread to see if you can find a Canadian source.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:33 pm
by HPhunter
there is a guy here in the Valley who has an account with McMaster Carr. Glen Doherty of Heritage Maching I've used him a few times. I ordered my hose from Bargainfittings in the states. They will ship to Canada. Not going to help for the weekend but maybe in the long run.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 pm
by mattvincent24
Thanks for the reply's! I've noticed some silicone tubing on the home depot website. Anyone have any experience with it?

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:01 pm
by Jimmy
You don't want the stuff from home depot, it will turn to jello with the high heat.

Edit: Unless of course it's high temp silicone.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:04 pm
by Jimmy
Here's a good read on this topic. You'll notice RobD picked up some of the Home Depot stuff, not sure how it worked out for him..it might be posted later in the thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=349&hilit=silicone+tubing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 pm
by sleepyjamie
hopdawgs.ca has good hi temp tubing. expensive tho.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 pm
by GAM
Matt we have an order in for 9 pumps. We may be ready for a group buy of tubing.

Sandy

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 pm
by RubberToe
The hopdawgs tubing is great, and is what most people aim for. It's thick walled high temp silicon and won't kink on you. The only drawback is that it's $3 per foot. The tubing Sandy is talking about is similar but thinner walled and cheaper. Depending on your setup it may be fine.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:47 am
by mattvincent24
great info guys thanks a lot! I've noticed some people on homebrew talk have been using pex pipe. Anyone here ever used it? Im a little worried that it would be too stiff. Heres an example of what someone did. Now my system in going to be gravity only and it needs to come apart easily for storage. What do you think?

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:51 am
by mr x
I think two things.

1. Fuck HBT
2. I trust the silicone tubing, not so sure about the PEX.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:17 am
by Jimmy
mr x wrote:I think two things.

1. Fuck HBT
:lol:

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:47 am
by sleepyjamie
although the hi-temp solicone tubing from hopdawgs is expensive, you will be glad you bought it.

maybe ask around and there might be enough people to do the group buy.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:53 am
by RubberToe
Regarding pex, not sure about using it for hot wort.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:02 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
Pex pipe is rated for a max of 110C IIRC

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:08 am
by thirdeye
I'd be interested in a group buy as well... thick walled silicone that is :)

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:20 am
by jeffsmith
mattvincent24 wrote:Im a little worried that it would be too stiff.
I think it would be a pain in the ass to deal with because it is so stiff. I personally wouldn't even bother with it.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:57 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
thirdeye wrote:I'd be interested in a group buy as well... thick walled silicone that is :)
IS there a McMaster product that would work...I was just looking on the website and the number of choices is dizzying!

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:17 pm
by RobD
Fishdisease wrote:
thirdeye wrote:I'd be interested in a group buy as well... thick walled silicone that is :)
IS there a McMaster product that would work...I was just looking on the website and the number of choices is dizzying!
ID: 51135K41 is what I ordered from McMaster-Carr the last time I was in on an order. It's 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD, 1/16" wall @ $1.41/ft, but it bends too easily for my liking. It is listed under "soft" tubing. If I were to order more, I'd want to go with something thicker/firmer (that's what she said).

There's also "firm" tubing. Same size as the "soft" for $1.91/ft. I have no idea how firm it would be though. ID: 51135K84

They do have some crush-resistant tubing, but it's $5.36/ft (ID: 3184K7).

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:56 pm
by chalmers
For those of you who want to peruse McMastr-Carr, their address is http://www.mcmaster.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and then just search for the numbers we're referencing here.

Those are thin-walled Silicone quoted above, for those people who want to avoid it. The thin-walled but firm tubing might be a feasible alternative (51135K84, $1.91/ft). I think the thick wall plays two parts: resistance to kinking, and some insulation from the high temperature if you've got to hold it by hand. The firm tubing might fit one or both of those concerns...

I was looking at some possible thick-walled tubing (1/2" ID, 3/4" OD) that can withstand boiling liquid, and came up with another possibility: 51245K43. It is Santoprene, resistant up to 275F. Looks to be food safe and has good chemical resistance for cleaning. Price is better at $2.12/ft.

I'm in the middle of putting together my stuff, so I'm going to grab some of one of these tubing on the next order. Unless we can find a good local or alternative source.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:01 pm
by wortly
I've ordered it from this guy before http://brewhardware.com/accessories/118-silicone . He is open to group buys.

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:12 pm
by chalmers
wortly wrote:I've ordered it from this guy before http://brewhardware.com/accessories/118-silicone . He is open to group buys.
Wow, $2/ft including shipping looks great. I'm hoping if that would include shipping to Canada, we'd probably have to pay duties on top of that...

Re: High Temp Tubing

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:18 pm
by thirdeye
wortly wrote:I've ordered it from this guy before http://brewhardware.com/accessories/118-silicone . He is open to group buys.
this guy has some great stuff at good prices! I'm definitely ordering from him, anyone in NB need silicone tubing?