Page 1 of 1
Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:46 pm
by spears104
Getting some brew gear for my birthday and I've decided that I want to get a heat exchanger so I can start using my new kettle. I was considering ordering a plate chiller from Duda Diesel. I'm aware of possible plugging issues but have built a hop spider and I'm currently gathering materials for a hop blocker. Any advice on what to get and where to get it? Thanks!
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:02 pm
by Keggermeister
Just get it. You will not regret it.
I have been using a plate chiller for 6+ years, and have never been able to plug mine that back flushing would not fix. Your pump will plug up way before the chiller will.
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:53 pm
by chalmers
Which chiller were you looking at, spears? We use a hand-me-down from X, a 30-plate (I believe) chiller. When it does not clog, it is beautiful. Used it last night (with a hop spider), and it cooled 40L from boiling to 70 in 15min. We do not use it with a hop spider, too many headaches.
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:26 pm
by spears104
I was thinking about the 7.5 inch long 30 plate unit. They have some longer 20 and 30 plate units on duda diesel but they probably have a higher pressure drop, and I will be starting out with gravity feed through the HEX, so I'll stick to the shorter unit.
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:57 pm
by HotBreak
The Therminator is what I/Keggermeister have had for almost 10 years now and it seems to be indestructable. cools wort down as fast as it can be pumped through and flushes out nicely!
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:11 pm
by spears104
Yeah the Therminator is a nice piece of gear. By the orientation of the nozzles it looks like it is a double pass plate heat exchanger, hence the high efficiency. The price is pretty hefty as its about $280 at NG. I might stick with the less expensive single pass units and maybe get a pump at the same time.
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:36 am
by gyorke
For those with plate chillers how do you clean/store them? I was considering one for my setup but after some internet research it sounded like they would have more maintenance/cleaning pain than they provide benefit?
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:37 am
by mr x
hot caustic
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:30 am
by Keggermeister
mr x wrote:hot caustic
Same.
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:39 pm
by Jayme
Is there a good place in town to buy caustic? I've been using PWB to date which works for me 90% of the time, but every now and then could use something more aggressive.
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:01 pm
by mr x
Yes, there is a good place in town to get caustic.

Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:55 pm
by GAM
mr x wrote:Yes, there is a good place in town to get caustic.

Is this sarcastic Rob?
Sandy
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:57 pm
by Graham.C
I think it's sneaky rob.
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:12 pm
by Jayme
I guess the Lye at Home Hardware would work wouldn't it?
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:20 pm
by mr x
That's one option, but I have a better one.

Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:15 pm
by Keggermeister
I went and bought a 20L pail of Caustic CIP Cleaner from ZEP Manufacturing years ago. It was a hundred bucks well spent IMO.
Boys should buy a few buckets and split them up. Please Please label them properly though! PH 12 will fuck you up good and quick.
It still feels odd to run for the vinegar or Lemon Juice to neutralize it when I get it on my hands...
http://www.zep.com/ZepSearch/default1.a ... &country=U
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 pm
by mr x
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:13 am
by TimG
Haha.. you're great early morning word day entertainment Rob!
Re: Heat Exchanger Advice
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 pm
by Keggermeister
Somehow i knew you would say that!