Page 1 of 1

Top cropping from a carboy

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:20 pm
by Jimmy
Anyone doing it? What's your method? I've noticed there seems to be 2 common ways..setting up a blowoff into a sanitized jar/flask, or using a stainless turkey baster. Anyone have experience with either method? Any idea where to pick up a stainless turkey baster locally?

Re: Top cropping from a carboy

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:22 pm
by mr x
SS used to sell the SS basters, if you can follow that, lol.

Re: Top cropping from a carboy

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:12 am
by sleepyjamie
Any reason why it has to be stainless? I've used pyrex measuring cup to crop it into a mason jar with success.

Re: Top cropping from a carboy

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:20 am
by Jimmy
sleepyjamie wrote:Any reason why it has to be stainless? I've used pyrex measuring cup to crop it into a mason jar with success.
Not really, I'd just prefer to buy a stainless baster if I can find one locally...a measuring cup would be fine if I was using a bucket, however I normally ferment in a carboy.

Re: Top cropping from a carboy

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:09 pm
by mattvincent24
I used to use a setup that had a blowoff tube into a sealed sanitized container with a airlock attached. It was a rip off of what i saw someone else doing on the net. It worked great, but i eventually started primary fermenting in buckets again for ease of cleaning and top cropping.

Re: Top cropping from a carboy

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:40 pm
by sleepyjamie
how many times do you guys top crop in the primary for a single batch?

Re: Top cropping from a carboy

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
http://www.aleiens.com/video/top-cropping-yeast-from-a

This seems to work well, a but of effort to set up though.

Re: Top cropping from a carboy

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:13 pm
by amartin
sleepyjamie wrote:how many times do you guys top crop in the primary for a single batch?
I usually crop it twice. I'll let it go for a few days, take about half off and stir the rest back into suspension. Then the next day I'll do it again. I'm not sure if that's the right way to do it, but my beer finishes attenuating and I get enough yeast for the next batch.